VMware Communities
VincentVega
Contributor
Contributor

Password prompt when booting a VM

I have an XP virtual machine set up that uses a partition on a hard drive that I instructed Fusion to use by creating a "vmdk" file (with vmware-rawdiskCreator) and editing the "vmx" file for the virtual machine to point to this file. Every time I start the Fusion application and launch this VM, I get prompted for my password. This didn't happen before I changed the VM to use this partition - is there any way of turning this off?

In addition, whilst trying to get my partition to work with the VM, I noticed something when the VM starts. If the "vmdk" file referenced in the "vmx" file doesn't exist, you get a open file dialogue box that asks you to choose the file. For some reason, this won't let me go inside the various "vmwarevm" packages that contain my VMs, which is slightly annoying when the "vmdk" file I want to choose is inside one of these packages! Is this a bug or is it intended behaviour?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You're prompted for your password because otherwise any user could get write access to the partition and do bad things to it. There's currently no way around this AFAIK.

The not-going-into-bundles is the default behavior of OS X - I don't know if the developers chose to not override this or just overlooked this use case.

0 Kudos
Mac_hatter
Contributor
Contributor

When I set up an Easy Install of vista, I used a password I've been using for a year on Windows, only now, with first login, it won't accept it.

Note: I didn't want to use BootCamp so this is a totally new setup and first time with Fusion.

I was careful, I have it written down, and it has worked since RC1. So why not now?

Or is this part of what is meant by "not supported currently" even though it \*seemed* to setup just fine. Am I now stuck? where I can't go forward or backward or do anything?

0 Kudos