VMware Communities
VincentVega
Contributor
Contributor

Password prompt locks computer solid

I have a VM that runs XP. It is configured to use an NTFS partition on another hard drive (via "vmware-rawDiskCreate" or whatever it's called). When I run Fusion and boot or exit this VM, I get an OS X password prompt. If I enter the password at startup, my VM runs as normal and all is well in the world.

A rather serious (IMHO) problem manifests itself when I come to quit Fusion. I get the password prompt again, but I can't type in the password. For all intents and purposes, my computer locks solid. All my other tasks continue to run in the background (I can see the iTunes display change as it plays an MP3). I can move the mouse around but that's it. Normally, I would expect that the password text field would get input focus and I could type my password in. But this doesn't happen: the dialogue doesn't appear to get focus. I can't do anything with the keyboard at all.

The only solution to this is to hold down the power button on the front of my Mac Pro for a while and force it to reboot. Fortunately I haven't lost any work yet, but the time will come when I do and I shall not be a happy man.

For the time being, I have edited the vmx file for my VM and removed the lines that use the NTFS partition. I will have to work around this rather large flaw in Fusion by creating a virtual hard drive and copy all my Windows files to that, which strikes me as somewhat of a waste of my time and hard drive space.

Is this an issue that VMware are aware of?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
VincentVega
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone?

0 Kudos