VMware Communities
jleonar
Contributor
Contributor

Parellels converted to Fusion, no mouse or keyboard

I have searched and found posts related to boot camp but I am using a disk image.

I converted my parallels image to fusion using the vmware converter. Everything went fine and I can boot the OS with Fusion. However I have no keyboard or mouse.

I can however use the keyboard to enter into safe mode but once windows xp is booted, the mouse and keyboard no longer work.

I am on a macbook using fusion beta 3. Any ideas? I can't login to do anything at this point.

Message was edited by:

jleonar

0 Kudos
25 Replies
l-rs
Contributor
Contributor

I must say that I indeed misread your instructions beforehand and started the VM after conversion then editted the .vxm file.

So, I trashed my last non-functioning Fusion VM, converted my latest, shutdown Parallels VM, quit the converter, added said line and started the new Fusion VM.

No luck, it completes an install of VMware Tools (it did on all other ocassions since my XP is set to logon automatically) but I still have no mouse or keyboard and it still throws up a "Found New Hardware" dialog that I cannot interact with.

Maybe the first importer is just too beta for my (albeit non-too-special) Parallels session. I guess I could set up a completely new machine, but I don't want to go through all the Microsoft Burning Hoops(tm) again for all installations.

So I'm giving up for now, even though I ended up with a tantalizingly close, nearly perfect conversion of my Parallels VM. (Not too mention a 99 dollar creditcard bill)[]

0 Kudos
McSvenster
Contributor
Contributor

Well finally I found a solution. Here is how it works:

1. Uninstall Parallels Tools under Parallels (You won't be able to do this under VMWare!)

2. convert the vm using "VMware Importer"

3. Insert the Windows install CD

4. Boot the new VMware XP and press F2 to open the setup-menu. Chose to boot from CD under Boot-Options.

5. Boot and wait for the Message "press any key to boot from CD". Do so Smiley Wink

6. Chose the option to install Windows (Yes: Install ... not repair from console or floppy).

7. Windows will start up some drivers and then present a menu where You can chose to press R for repairing the system on drive c.\. That's what we want.

8. It will take about 30 minutes, and You have to insert the Product Key from Windows again and the user setup will show up... but You will get Your old system with mouse and keyboard.

Good luck!

Greetings

SK

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

What you've basically done is an "in-place-reinstall" and run Windows device detection against the VMware virtual hardware. I've recently read up on that in the context of swapping the Parallels non-ACPI HAL for a VMware ACPI-compliant HAL (necessary if you want two virtual cpus).

I don't recommend this to others reading this thread but I'm glad it worked for you.

We're working on the root problem.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Good point on a Windows repair installation. In an x2V conversion that is a "last resort" option. Especially because of additional repair installations required for MSI-based products.

0 Kudos
McSvenster
Contributor
Contributor

What I forgot to mention, that I tried the vmx-file modification, but it did not work for me.

And thank You all for the hints!

There is one more thing Smiley Happy : In "my solution" windows has to install all the updates and security-fixes again... so you need an internet connection and again a lot of patience.

Greetings

SK

0 Kudos
asminogby
Contributor
Contributor

Just uninstall parallels tools 

sudo /usr/lib/parallels-tools/install -r
0 Kudos