VMware Communities
JasonTech
Contributor
Contributor

Parallels to Vmware conversion

I just installed Vmware Fusion and I converted my Parallels Virtual Machine into Vmware. I set the disc size at 40 GB and I tried to use shrink to make it smaller and I says it is disabled. I do not have a Snap shot.

Any ideas on how I can compress/shrink this VM?

Thank you,

Jason.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Since VMware has two products (not counting features in Fusion 2.0 Beta 1) VMware Importer and VMware Converter it might be helpful to know which one you used. Although if you don't have a Snapshot in place then the other reason would be you preallocated all space and preallocated disks are not shrinkable.

You can use "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmware-vdiskmanager" to convert the disk from a preallocated to growable and then you'd be able to shrink the disk.

0 Kudos
JasonTech
Contributor
Contributor

How do I run this utility? Do I open Termial and then type in a comand to access that file?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Virtual Disk Manager is a part of Fusion and is run from a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and is located at:

"/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmware-vdiskmanager"

Execute it without any arguments for the Syntax.

The example you want is:

ex 3: vmware-vdiskmanager -r sourceDisk.vmdk -t 0 destinationDisk.vmdk

Make sure the location of the destinationDisk.vmdk is not the same as the sourceDisk.vmdk and -t 0 is for monolithic-sparse (single growable virtual disk) and -t 1 is for twoGbMaxExtentSparse (growable virtual disk split in 2Gb files).

After converting you can swap the disks.

0 Kudos