VMware Communities
sknob
Contributor
Contributor

Parallels to Fusion: ? re potential deal-breaker

Hi,

I'm testing and really liking Fusion, but I've run into what is a real problem for me.

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

In Parallels, I use the Finder for all my file management (I never open Windows Explorer).

As such, I routinely drag and drop files from the Finder to open Windows apps (ex: rtf file into an open MS Word window).

When I do this in Fusion (in Unity mode), Fusion copies the drag & dropped file to a Fusion Temp directory on my virtual C drive (instead of just using the path to the file in the Finder).

FYI, I have Mirrored Folders turned ON (Desktop & Documents) and a couple of Shared folders (Specific work directories on my Mac).

This is not compatible with my workflow. I do this dozens of times a day, with big files.

- I don't want to duplicate every file I use in this Temp folder, and

- I don't want to go through Windows Open dialogs, because they are so inefficient, and never remember the paths you just used, etc.

So... Is there some kind of setting to avoid this behavior? Is there some way to configure Fusion so that drag & dropped files are NOT first duplicated in a temp directory on my C drive?

Many thanks in advance,

Vincent.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What you're seeing is currently expected behavior and there is no setting to get around it. We'll take your feedback into account.

sknob
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your straightforward answer.

I do think it is objectively necessary for total Mac/Win integration.

Fusion otherwise feels more stable and faster than Parallels and am eager to switch.

Kind regards,

Vincent.

0 Kudos
JonParis
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to add my voice to this enhancement request.

I just switched to Fusion from Parallels and so far I'm delighted with the switch BUT ... not being able to easily access the C drive from within Finder (as I could with the mounted drive in Parallels) is a real pain and so far the only real downer of the switch.

Perhaps becuase I'm getting older I tend to forget where I have put things - Finder was a godsend for me when I switched from a WIndows machine. The WIndows search just sucks so badly and now that I have got used to using Finder for everything and I really miss that with Fusion.

JonP

0 Kudos