VMware Communities
srwarner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Parallel's to Fusion transfer

In the process of transferring images from Parallels to Fusion, I ran into an issue where the 'sticky' (kernel mode extensions for Parallel's Tools ) left me with an added problem.  The VMware tools were being rejected as not a proper installation image by the OS, though I am nearly 100% certain it was due to the Parallels Kext were in the transferred image.  True installations from the ISO didnt have the rejected installation of VMware tools.

Which, if it weren't for the nightmare of trying to turn of SIP when in a VMware/Fusion/VMware-EFI environment, might have been relatively easy.  I am still as I write this investigating what seems to be the most fruitful path (add another bootable image created from the ISO and boot to it to enter recovery mode).

Yet - the accidentally cool news is ... while helping another with the transfer to another VMware fusion system ... I did an OVA export and import back into VMware on the same system.  Magically the VMware installation program worked.  While the Parallels KEXT remain, something in the OVA export-import path enabled the Parallels imported image to now allow the VMware Tools installation to work.  (and I have 5 images where this was occurring.... so this is a cool ... new step for my conversion from Parallels to VMware Fusion.

a) Import the Parallels image using "New"

b) run the image and attempt the VMware tools installation - assuming it fails due to Parallels residuals 

b1) export to OVA

b2) import the OVA

b3) run the VMware tools - 

c) enable the graphics items

voila - a just as beautiful as from the iso - guest.

Sam

ps @Addabob64  ... were it not for your problem I would have never fell into this solution 🙂 

0 Kudos
0 Replies