VMware Communities
jp1203
Contributor
Contributor

PC migrate "Converter failed to connect to remote machine. Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."

Having trouble with the PC user name and password step during VMWare Fushion (migrating Windows 7 home from the PC to a Macbook Air).

I receive the following message: "Converter failed to connect to remote machine. Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password."

Made pw on the PC specifically for this step but it is still not working.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

First, since you need a legal, retail windows 7 license for a virtual machine anyway, you're always better off building a VM from scratch - converted VM's are always bloated, buggy, and unstable.

But if you want to try converting anyway, use the standalone vmware vcenter converter instead of the over-the-wire wizard.  It's much more reliable.

0 Kudos
Ngarara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Probably not relevant as it's a home installation, but it needs to be a local user, not a network (Active Directory) user, with admin privileges and a simple password.

0 Kudos
mbergie2
Contributor
Contributor

ok .. i just had the same problem... and did this to figure it out for the user name:

my user name is WOW and password is *****

and that did not work.. . IT is not the user name vmware is looking for...

TO DO:

in windows 7

go to control panels

to Administrative tools

to System configuration

i then double clicked the larger profile and it gave me the file path in the Change profile type.

So in mine said ..

When party mike\mikeparty logs into this computer...... etc etc

so i used the user name 'mikeparty'

and the password i use when i log in to windows 7

and that worked.. .

copying now... i also just purchased windows 8 from

softwareking.com

web site.. downloading it now. and give you free download of windows 10 if you ever want it.

0 Kudos