VMware Communities
TheDudester
Contributor
Contributor

PC Migration wants 1.6TB?

I'm running VMware Fusion 5.0.3 on a iMac (late 2012) running Mountain Lion 10.8.4. I have a Dell desktop running Windows 8 on the same network that I want to migrate.

The Dell desktop has a 149GB mirrored RAID drive (2x149GB drives) and a 16GB USB "ReadyBoost" drive. That's the only storage used on this PC. There is a 2TB drive in the PC but it's not mounted in Windows or used in Windows.

When I run the VMware Fusion PC Migration Agent on the Dell, I can see and connect to it from VMware Fusion on the Mac. However, when I try to migrate, it tells me that I need 1.6TB of space and I don't have enough to migrate the PC.

How in the world can a 149GB (54.4GB free) Windows partition need 1.6TB of space in VMware Fusion?

Anyone have any ideas on how to get past this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

maybe not the only option, but easy. Open the PC's cover and temporarily detach the 2TB HDD.

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Another option is to use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone.  You can select the drives you want included thus not having to open the PC and disconnect anything.

0 Kudos
TheDudester
Contributor
Contributor

I tried disconnecting the 2TB drive, but that made no difference.

You cannot download the VMwave vCenter Converter Standalone unless you're a registered owner of vCenter, which I am not. Smiley Sad I only own Fusion.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's interesting. Anyway, unless VMware changed something lately the Converter is free and you should be able to download it after logging.

André

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Don't convert an existing PC.  You need to have a retail windows license anyway, so building a clean VM is a better option.  Otherwise you end up with a bloated, buggy, unstable VM.

0 Kudos