VMware Communities
DerekSchauland7
Contributor
Contributor

PC Migration to Fusion

I am trying to migrate my Win 7 x64 PC into a VM for use in fusion, however during the connection process between the computers, the remote host connection cannot be found or established. Not sure what to do... Windows has exceptions in the firewall as does the Mac for fusion. Also am connecting to Windows as the admin account.

Not sure what to try next.

Have created an image with the standalone converter, but fusion cannot seem to import that as well...

Any ideas?

Derek

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have created an image with the standalone converter, but fusion cannot seem to import that as well...

You don't import a Virtual Machine create by VMware vCenter Converter Standalone into VMware Fusion you should just be able to open or run it by double-clicking the .vmx configuration file of you can turn the folder it's in into a Package by adding the .vmwarevm extension and then hiding the extension using Get Info and then it's like a normal VMware Fusion created Virtual Machine.

What version of VMware vCenter Converter Standalone did you use?

Is Window on the PC and OEM version, in other words did it come preinstalled on the PC?

0 Kudos
DerekSchauland7
Contributor
Contributor

The converter version is latest... fresh download this week.

Windows on the PC is not OEM.

will try opening the vmx file and see what it does...

0 Kudos
DerekSchauland7
Contributor
Contributor

Do I need to park these vms on the hard drive of the mac or is it ok to keep them external?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Normal file based Virtual Machines created by VMware Fusion default to the ~/Documents/Virtual Machines folder and are in Packages, in other words a folder with a hidden .vmwarevm extension. Virtual Machines created by VMware vCenter Converter Standalone are just a set of files so you can place the relevant files in a folder by themselves and turn it into a Package or just execute (double-click) the .vmx file. You can run a Virtual Machine from anywhere you have Read & Write permissions.

0 Kudos
DerekSchauland7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to recreate the VM from the WIndows machine. I tried some other VMs and got a read only file system message, which didnt happen in VMware Workstation (they opened no problem).

I think my original question is answered by the fact that the VM might be bad.

0 Kudos