VMware Communities
PrintPraxisNET
Contributor
Contributor

PB macOS Monterey: Win10Pro 64Bit crashes hard – no recovery

Hi there,

I've been upgrading VMWare Fusion from V11 to V12.1.2 recently while running macOS Big Sur. 

A couple of days ago I've installed the Public Beta of macOS Monterey (which is basically running without any noticeable hiccups). System build is 12.0 Beta (21A5268h).

I can use other VMs without problems (knock on wood) – but Win10 crashed hard on first boot. So hard, actually, that I had to power down the machine. 

The Win10 install should be fairly recent, I guess only the most recent chunks of updates are missing. The partition size ist around 60gig. 

On starting the VM, Windows is trying to repair the installation, but fails. There are no clues given why this happens. 

I’ve also tried to let Win10 refresh itself from the local drive or via the Cloud – both ways fail very early in the process, leaving the disk untouched (so it says).

Should Win10Pro basically work in Fusion12 on Monterey? Should I trash the VM and start over? Or is there a way of reviving it?

Best,

Jason 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What happens with a freshly-built Windows 10 VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
PrintPraxisNET
Contributor
Contributor

Checking …

0 Kudos
PrintPraxisNET
Contributor
Contributor

The fresh machine seems to work properly: 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So you're probably looking more for Windows recovery help than anything specific to Fusion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
baccheschi
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, running Monterey Public Beta 2 and now 3. Fusion 12.1.2 and windows 10 Pro 64 Guest. Had to start over. The brand new VM worked just great. But it crashed again eventually, after a windows 10 quality update. So I started having problems again and had to "refresh" it, as tou put it, from local and from the cloud. It works for I while. So I realized that the problem was with VMWare Tools. It is working fine without it. But life is not that easy on Fusion without WMWare Tools, specially because some of its settings stuck, without the App being actually installed. 

crsandoval
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue when I upgraded to the PB for Monterey. It immediately booted into Recovery Mode and then eventually failed. I “downgraded” to Big Sur and everything is running smoothly. So I guess I have to wait.

0 Kudos