VMware Communities
KenGould
Contributor
Contributor

Out of Disk Space problem with Fusion and OSX 10.14.3?

Hi All

Anyone else see and issue where Fusion (latest version) doesn't correctly identify the disk space available after installing the 10.14.3 update? Started with not being able to power on VMs, despite having 150GB of space free. Couldnt expand the virtual disk of a windows 10 VM etc.

I reverted to 10.14.2 from backup and all is well. Interested if anyone else has seen the same problem

Tags (2)
5 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Nope, all's good here.

If your disk is near full, you may be running into a problem with how time machine works now.  It uses local snapshots, which consume space on the main drive, then backs them up and deletes them later.  You can use tmutil from the command line to manually delete local snapshots and free up space.

0 Kudos
KenGould
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely not a disk space issue with 150GB free. Afraid to update to 10.14.3 now though based on that experience

djacobus
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing the same issue. Just tried to import a Parallels VM into VMWare Fusion and it says I have 48GB Free when I have over 280GB free. I'm on v11.0.2

0 Kudos
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here.

0 Kudos
rossco_au
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Getting same here all of a sudden on 10.14.5 and Fusion 11.1.  Very frustrating - it's stopped me working for a number of hours. 

Getting the following:

Could not open paging file for 8192 MB: "No space left on device".

"Failed to allocate main memory.

Module 'MainMem' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine."

Guest has 24GB free on the system drive.  Drive on which the VM is running has over 200GB free.  Host machine as a 2TB fusion drive with around 940GB free.

Reducing the guest memory works around the problem but some machines I need a large amount of RAM.

0 Kudos