VMware Communities
pebex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Optimizing Settings for Windows 8.1 on MacBook Pro 13"

Hello guys, I've recently bought a VMware Fusion 6 and installed Windows 8.1 as a guest system but it seems for me very slow mainly for keyboard input/repainting the screen(?) which seems very disappointing in my view and it cost 54 euros. I have MacBook Pro 13" Late 2013 (retina, i5-4258U, 8G). What's wrong? Do I have to configure something?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pebex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The main issue was that Windows has had enabled a Superfetch which was causing the problem. When I manually disabled it. It worked like a charm. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Did you install VMWare tools inside the virtual machine?

How much memory/cores did you give the virtual machine when you created it?

0 Kudos
pebex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Of course, I did. I give it a 2 gigs of memory and 2 cores.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sometimes they don't install automatically, so it's always worth checking.  Is '3d acceleration' turned on in settings?  Is the VM on an internal drive, or an external one?

0 Kudos
pebex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see, but it seems to be installed properly. Yep, all acceleration is enabled. The VM in on internal drive.

0 Kudos
pebex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay I've tried a little "debugging": The issue is not within VMWare Tools anyway, it does the same thing to Windows 8.1 without tools.

0 Kudos
pebex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The main issue was that Windows has had enabled a Superfetch which was causing the problem. When I manually disabled it. It worked like a charm. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Cool - good to know!

0 Kudos