VMware Communities
jaybna
Contributor
Contributor

Optimal Settings for Fusion 3 and Windows 7

I searched the forum but did not find anything similar. So, here goes...

I have a MacBook Pro with good speed and good memory - but my VM speed for Windows 7 is approaching unusable. Others have complained about speed yet I know people that use the exact same machine setup (or with even less memory) that have passable results.

Is there a list of known performance best practice for both Fusion and Windows 7? For example, what are the best memory and processor settings for the VM? Does Hard Disk Buffering matter? I figure if I can get to baseline normal that there is a good chance mine will work too (he says optimistically). Happy to provide software or machine settings in greater detail if needed.

Thanks in advance, Jay

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
wazzamatazz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jay,

I have an almost identical MacBook Pro to you (I have a slower CPU but that's it) and I have no problems running Windows 7, as long as I run it in Single Window or Full Screen mode; performance issues with Unity are fairly well documented.

As far as the VM settings are concerned, I have it set to use 1 CPU core and 2048MB RAM. I've also modified the Windows Visual Effects (Right click on My Computer>Properties>Advanced system settings) so that only the following items are enabled: "Smooth edges of screen fonts", "Use visual styles on windows and buttons". I'm also using a non-Aero theme. I frequently have multiple copies of Visual Studio and various Office apps running and have never seen any performance issues using these settings.

Hope this helps!

Graham

0 Kudos
intisun07
Contributor
Contributor

My Computer is similar, but slowest of all and this setting works well. I have to run ArcMap and often have multiple window open on Mac and Virtual Machine. Thanks.

0 Kudos