Optimal Settings for 2016 MacBook Pro

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with the following configurations:

macOS Sierra 10.12.6

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB

500 GB SSD

VMWare Professional: 8.5.8

My question is: what would be the optimal settings to run macOS and Windows 7 smoothly, and achieve a healthy balance between the performance of macOS and Windows 7? I only use VMWare for Visual Studio coding C#, ASP.NET, Java, and SQL.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

No more than 2 cores for the virtual machine.  You can give it up to 12GB of RAM, but capping at 8 would be safer.

There were some reports that hosting the source code inside the VM is far faster when compiling than using the shared folder feature - not sure if that's still true, but worth experimenting with.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

hosting the source code inside the VM is far faster when compiling than using the shared folder feature - not sure if that's still true

Just as a FYI, so I can save you some time, that has not changed.

If you want to insist on putting source code on a shared folder then you'd be better of using the network and use one of the networking standard protocols.

Not that I recommend that scenario myself over compiling from local (virtual) disk.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos