VMware Communities
chall3
Contributor
Contributor

Operation on fille failed

I got the message: The operation on file "Users/myname/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 10x64.vmwarevm/Virtual Disk-s025.vmdk" failed (There is no space left on the device).

I can't quit VMware or do anything, all frozen up.  Help?  Help!  I need to be back online asap! 

I tried to call but the message was to go online, so I'm not sure I'm where I need to be for help!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@chall3 

Moderator: Please create threads in the area for the product used - moved to Workstation Pro Discussions (although you might be using Workstation Player)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

"There is no space left on the device" points to disk space issues on the host (Mac).

In case disk space is low, check whether you can free up some disk space.

André

Moderator Note: Discussion moved to VMware Fusion Discussions

0 Kudos
chall3
Contributor
Contributor

If I can free up some space on Mac then how can I get the VMWare to close? It’s locked up and will not respond 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Did the message appear in a popup windows asking wether you want to continue or abort ?

If yes - you must free up space BEFORE you answer the message with continue.
If there was no popup or you already answered it check the timestamp on the referenced slice of the vmdk.
If it is still busy wait - if the timestamp shows that there was no change since a while then try to kill the fusion process and restart it.

Can you still ping the VM ? - then you may be able to tell the VM to shutdown via ssh or RDP ...

0 Kudos