VMware Communities
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

OpenSolaris closed to Fusion - Why?

So VMware tools isn't or won't install on OpenSolaris, and looking at the forum, this has been true since 2008... Why? Isn't OpenSolaris the only true Unix (not Linux) that is available for free? And isn't OpenSolaris a good way to learn Solaris, which is used in the banking industry? So wouldn't supporting OpenSolaris be a good idea?

I guess I should add, that this is a LiveCD.. and I'm not even sure what that is.. Does a LiveCD preclude installing VMware tools?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

LiveCD means that everything you do inside it is lost after a reboot - thats the nature of LiveCDs.
So installing anything that needs a reboot is next to useless 😉

there are vmware-tools for Solaris

Solaris is not the only Unix - there are also the BSDs - OpenBSD, NetBSD and FreeBSD and a few derivates

0 Kudos
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

Well I found these links

http://blogs.sun.com/scottdickson/entry/installing_opensolaris_in_oracle_vm

http://blogs.sun.com/aalok/entry/automated_installer_from_media

But I'm uncertain where I find the download, or when I see a list of candidates, how to know which is the standard one to install

I know there are other Unix/Linux OS's, but I want to play with a Sun/Oracle version of OpenSolaris. Does that exist in a NOT LiveCD version?

--

--

Well I did find this:

http://notallmicrosoft.blogspot.com/2010/01/step-by-step-guide-to-install.html

And on this page there is a line:

Download the Automated installer (AI) image

And right now it's downloading.

But I don't know why that isn't just listed in a plain jane fashion on Oracle/Sun's website...

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Every LiveCD I've ever used has a 'Install to Disk' option somewhere, usually right on the desktop.

Does such an option not exist for OpenSolaris?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Obeechi
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, now I see, I might have known this before, but forgot it...

What I did was try to install vmware tools into the LiveCD and to try to this wrong approach had ejected the CD that appeared on the desktop of OpenSolaris. So this time I made the Virtual Machine with Fusion, selected the iso I downloaded as the install disk, then once the vm booted up and the desktop appeared, I went straight to the Install icon... and instead of a partition, went for a whole disk, of course that's a whole virtual disk, and once that booted up... then ejected the CD that appears on the desktop of OpenSolaris and then installed VMware tools which then shows up as a tar.gz when I right click it... well, this is where I get stuck... because I can't seem to extract it, it opens up to a read-only window, ... Or I can right-click on the CD of VMware Tools and choose Open in Terminal... which it does... but not sure what to do there...

This is OpenSolaris 0906 though I could not get Solaris 9 to work, so I've put this in a Solaris 10 virtual machine.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As a guideline, in the VMware Fusion Help File have a look at: Install or Upgrade VMware Tools in a Linux Virtual Machine

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just an FYI as far as VMware Tools go on OpenSolaris...

After installing I found the following...

No Sound.

Drag & Drop only works Guest to Host.

VMware Tool Box doesn't load and shrinking the disk wouldn't be available anyway so that did bother me I do it manually.  The rest of the features in the VMware Toolbox can be controlled via other methods.  There may be a fix for why it crashes but I didn't investigate.

HGFS works so you can use VMware Shared Folders.

Copy and Paste for Text works however graphics doesn't.

The mouse automatically grabs/ungrabs.

To resolve the sound issue I had to download and install: http://blog.sun.com/roller/resources/le/audio-1.9beta-i86pc.pkg.bz2

Unarchive it and then in a Terminal as root type pkgadd -d followed by a space and then drag and drop the audio-1.9beta-i86pc.pkg file on the Terminal and then press Enter and install all.  After installing and still in the Terminal type shutdown -y -i6 -g0 then press Enter to reboot.

0 Kudos