VMware Communities
furaferi
Contributor
Contributor

OpenGL rendering bugs with Fusion 4

Hi,

We've been using Fusion 3 with Windows XP to run Pro Engineer (Pro/E) Wildfire 5. It's a 3D CAD software and it uses OpenGL heavily. Ever since I upgraded to Fusion 4, there are very serious rendering bugs that make the program unusable. If I disable OpenGL, it works OK, but the performace is too slow to be usable. I've attached two images showing how the rendering looks like and how it should look like.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug in Fusion 4, but we can't submit a technical support request until we buy a license, however we are not going to buy/upgrade our license as long as version 4 performs worse than Fusion 3.

How can we get this resolved?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gweep
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem...  This is  a pretty bad situation.   ProE Wildfire worked great in Fusion v3 in Windows XP on my old MacPro.    Now with a brand new MacPro and Fusion v4 it runs slower and the rendering issue is unacceptable.   ProE is pretty much useless without the graphics acceleration turned on.

Are there any internal settings that would help tweek the performance?

Mike

0 Kudos
furaferi
Contributor
Contributor

Mike,

I ended up installing Windows 7 and that solved the problem.

0 Kudos
gweep
Contributor
Contributor

Glad to hear that is working for you.   What are you thoughts about ProE's speed with Fusion 4?  Version 4 was supposed to provide a respectable improvement.

I have a Tech Support Request working.  They were able to provide a temporary solution.  Here is an extract of the email.  Straight off of the PTC website.

Please find the extract from the following documents:

http://www.ptc.com/products/proe/studentedFAQ1.htm

I am having problems running the Creo Elements/Pro Student Edition. Are there any known problems or special installation procedures that I must follow?

1. The Creo Elements/Pro Student Edition requires an NTFS File System. In many cases Windows XP Home Edition is setup with a FAT File System out of the box. The file system may need to be converted to NTFS if not already done.

2. Try setting the config.pro option "graphics win32_gdi" or "use_software_opengl yes".

Setting the option "graphics" to "win32_gdi" did the job for me.   This essentially bypasses the 3D graphics acceleration for ProE without the big penalty in GUI performance.    I upgraded to Fusion v4 / Lion / Mac Pro 5,1 (dual quad-core) from Fusion v3 / Snow Leopard / Mac Pro 1,1 (dual-core).   In this mode I see absolutely no increase perfromance or speed with ProE WF5 over my old system.  I think it is just a smidge slower.   I was already running a NTFS File System

For the moment it is usable.   Hopefully the VMware folks will find a fix soon so I can switch off the win32_gdi solution.

Mike

0 Kudos