VMware Communities
Husky71
Contributor
Contributor

OpenGL driver problem - My application works in Parallels but not VMWare 7 or 8

I have an engineering program that displays data on a map using OpenGL.  The problem that I am seeing is strange/random lines on the map.  The software vendor has narrowed the problem down to the OpenGL drivers used in VMWare.  The same problem doesn't occur in native Windows or with a VM running on Parallels.

The vendor created a sample test program to help check for the issue.  It is located at www.transfinite.com/maintenancerelease/OpenGLSO.zip

Is there a way to update the OpenGL driver or otherwise configure VMWare to properly display the graphics?

Thanks

4 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for reporting this!  I've forwarded your post to our OpenGL experts, and they've reported back that they can reproduce the problem and are working on it.  I don't have a timeline for a fix... but usually the easier it is for us to reproduce a defect, the easier it is for us to find the root cause and fix it, so I expect the vendor's little test program will be of great help.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
brianp201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for the test program.  With it, I isolated the problem and have fixed it in our driver.  If you can email me at brianp@vmware.com I'll send you more details.

-Brian

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ok, I've been hanging around the forums for a long time, but this thread is just one of the coolest I think I've ever read.  Less than a week from post to fix?

You guys rock!

Husky71
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Brian,

Email sent.

Looking forward to trying out the fix.

0 Kudos