VMware Communities
jimol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Open in New Tab Under Internet Explorer 7

Just wondering whether others are experiencing the following:

In Internet Explorer 7, I depend heavily on the ability to open web pages in new tabs by ctrl-clicking on hyperlinks. This is equivalent to command-clicking on hyperlinks under Safari.

When I do this under Fusion, instead of directly opening the desired page in a new tab, I am presented with a context menu for the hyperlink, which requires that I select from a set of options (Open, Open in new Tab, Open in new Window, Save Target as..., etc.). So I have to take 2 steps now, when normally one is required.

Possibly related to this is that control-dragging in Windows apps behaves similarly. Rather than the customary "copy here" behavior, Windows opens a context menu that requires me to choose an option (Move here, Copy here, Link here, etc.)

I've searched the forums and can't find a post on this. Have any of you encountered this behavior, and if so, found a way to get rid of these context menus and make ctrl key operations behave normally?

BTW, I'm using Fusion 1.0 (51348).

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Control click is mapped to right click by default like the Mac to make it more discoverable. You can disable this feature by going to preferences and disabling "Enable Mac OS mouse shortcuts" and quitting and restarting VMware Fusion.

The control key will then again be strictly a control key in the virtual machine.

Hope that helps.

Pat

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Control click is mapped to right click by default like the Mac to make it more discoverable. You can disable this feature by going to preferences and disabling "Enable Mac OS mouse shortcuts" and quitting and restarting VMware Fusion.

The control key will then again be strictly a control key in the virtual machine.

Hope that helps.

Pat

0 Kudos
jimol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pat, your instructions worked like a charm. I'm new to both Fusion and the Mac (actually a 10 year hiatus), so still getting my bearings.

My right-click habit is two-fingers-on-touchpad-click anyway, so didn't need ctrl-click for that purpose.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
jgl1975
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you for this, it has been weeks since I'm annoyed by this Smiley Wink

0 Kudos