VMware Communities
MacPC
Contributor
Contributor

Only one core on Vista in Fusion.

Hi,

I really like Fusion. I have a question about my Vista Home Premium SP-1 installation. My host is Leopard 10.5.2. In my XP pro installation, I have two processors turn in Fusion, the XP installation has no trouble recognized too cores. In Task Manager, it shows two cores. I did the same thing with the Vista installation, Vista only sees one core. How can I get it to use two cores? (I installed VMware tools on both installation.)

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

In the Vista Task Manager go to View>CUP> and select "One Graph Per CPU" and check you can see the Two process in Vista as well

0 Kudos
MacPC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Humm, Vista isn't using two cores tho, cuz in System Info, under processor, it shows only one core. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
VTMac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here are a few tips that may be useful.

1) You didn't mention what Mac you are using. But if you are using a Mac with only 2 cores, then you are more than likely decreasing you performance by enabling dual cores. Counterintuitive, but true. There are numerous posts from VMWare personnel indicating as much on this forum. If you have a quad core or better mac pro then go for it.

2) Windows XP (and possible Vista - I'm not sure) detect the number of CPUs at install time. If you don't have 2 CPUs enabled during install, nothing will get them to see them.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

2) Windows XP (and possible Vista - I'm not sure) detect the number of CPUs at install time. If you don't have 2 CPUs enabled during install, nothing will get them to see them.

With XP that may be true however with Vista it's not. After changing the settings to use 2 vCPUs I just started a Vista Virtual Machine originally created with one vCPU and after it booted it detected the 2nd vCPU and installed it and then rebooted. After that I checked the Device Manager and is showed both vCPUs and in Task Manager's Performance tab I have 2 graphs, one per vCPU.

0 Kudos
MacPC
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for the replies.

Yes, I have it on A Mac Pro, so dual core is not a problem. But funny that I did install it with two cores on. May be I will try to install again. And WoodyZ, I also tried to switch back and forth between two and one core, it makes no different. Just want to make sure, it is a Visat 32-bit home premium, could that be the issue? Do I need 64-bit Vista?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I install Microsoft Window Vista Ultimate 32-bit in a Fusion Virtual Machine using 1 vCPU. I then went into Settings and set it to use 2 vCPU and booted it and at the Desktop it recognized new hardware and installed it and I rebooted as necessary and then once back to the Desktop I checked the Device Manager and is showed both vCPUs and in Task Manager's Performance tab I have 2 graphs, one per vCPU.

0 Kudos
MacPC
Contributor
Contributor

Mmmmm, I tried to install Vista again. I wonder if this is a bug in Fusion, I went through the process to create a new Vista VM, Before installing, I went into settings and choice two vCPU, once I click Apply, Fusion would just quit, no error message or anything. When I restart Fusion, it does show two vCPUs, and in the .vmx, it says twp vcpus as well, it will install from the DVD fine. After reboot, I am still getting one core. Oh well, if anyone has a solution that will be great, if not Vista is the Seattle King Crap anyway, not worth my time. I love my Mac. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I went through the process to create a new Vista VM, Before installing, I went into settings and choice two vCPU, once I click Apply, Fusion would just quit, no error message or anything.

That's strange. Can you reproduce this? Check vmware-vmfusion.log (see if you need help finding it) immediately after this happens to see if there are any crash logs.

0 Kudos
MacPC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Strange indeed. I look at the log, it doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. It didn't happen in any of my other vm installations, no in XP, Linux and BSD. Only happen on Vista. O well, hell with it. I think Vista is cursed!!! :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos