VMware Communities
gerdgoebel
Contributor
Contributor

One windows app cannot open files on Mac folder

Fusion 12 on Mac 10.15.6.

I setup shared folders and have added my Mac Documents and Software as shared folders.

I have 3 Windows apps that use the data on the Mac folder. 2 apps works without a problem reading/updating and saving data back to the Mac folder. But my Quickbooks app cannot open the company files on the Mac folder. I can see all files in Windows explorer but when I start Quickbooks and select the company file it takes a while before an popup tells me that the file could not be opened. The error code is -6176 0 but I assume this is a Quickbooks error code.

Quickbooks has a check program that I ran but it did not find any issues.

I tried to mirror the Documents folder, but it did not make a difference.

I am hoping that somebody in the community is running Quickbooks in VMware on a Mac as well and might be able to comment on this issue.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It is generally a bad idea to put database files that you access directly via the file system on a shared folder.

My suggestion would be to put the quicken database locally, but... I'm no quicken expert, I just write database software. Smiley Happy

Searching for your error brings me to pages like this one:

https://www.quickensupportline.com/quickbooks-error-6176-0/

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
gerdgoebel
Contributor
Contributor

I still use Parallels and there QB does not have any problem accessing and updating the data on the Mac Folder. My main reason for keeping all data on the Mac is my automated backups.

In my W101 VM I copied the company files to the local Windows drive. I now can open the company file without any errors. I still backup my changes to the Mac folder I had used before.

Thanks for your suggestion.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

No worries.

As someone who writes automated backup tools (see my signature) I certainly do understand the need of backups. Smiley Happy

Being able to backup just the required files over a complete VM backup is superior if that's all you need.

It's great that you found a solution, but it seems you lost the automated bit of your old solution now, which is less ideal.

Perhaps somebody else who actually uses QB has an additional idea on how-to use QB with a VMware shared folder.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

We used to help users do this all the time back in the day (10+ years ago when I was running the Fusion support team...).

It worked well because you could backup the QB db with Time Machine separately from the VM.

gerdgoebelDid this work in Fusion 11 and stoped in Fusion 12?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
gerdgoebel
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if this worked in Fusion 11, as I am new to VMware and just get my hands dirty with Fusion 12

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

After reading Michael's reply I suggest you to open a ticket with VMware for this particular case.

To get official support please go to: Fusion Support and open a ticket at File a Support Request

--

Wil

0 Kudos
gerdgoebel
Contributor
Contributor

I found a Quickbooks KB telling me that -6176, 0 is related to the Windows firewall. According to the KB I am supposed to add some inbound and outbound firewall settings.

The strange thing is that I had imported the VM from Parallels 13. In Parallels QB works just fine when opening the company file from the Mac folder. I compared the Windows firewall settings in the Parallels and the Fusion VM and they look the same (it has too many entries for me to check each one). And I don't find any entries using Quickbooks or Intuit.

In the meantime I had first tried a repair install, which did not resolve the error. I still got the same error. Next I removed QB from Windows completely, restarted the Fusion VM, installed QB with latest updates. Now I don't get the error code anymore but I now takes about 5 minutes before I get the company file logon screen, then another 5 minutes before I get into QB.

I tried to create a support ticket but my license key is not displayed on the support website even though it is registered. Looks like there is no support for my free license.

I am still a newbe to VMware, but I am hoping that VMware support is also reading this post.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Ahh.. you're using the free Player license.

Yes, no free support with that I'm afraid. You would have to buy a license and then you'll get 30 days complimentary support (I just noticed that the support options changed in Fusion 12, you can buy longer support if needed)

The firewall issues don't apply in this case.

Not sure if there's much you can do to address the slow access.

--

Wil

0 Kudos