VMware Communities
someciscoguy
Contributor
Contributor

Older version of fusion error

Screen shot 2011-09-26 at 1.50.37 PM.png

I get this error when trying to launch Fusion.  The VMs were copied from a previous location and I selected "I copied this" when prompted; however, now I can't get past this part of the Fusion startup.  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

I suggest you reinstall fusion 3.1.3 first and shutdown the suspended VMs and then upgrade to Fusion 4.

0 Kudos
someciscoguy
Contributor
Contributor

The VMs in question launched fine under Fusion 4 the first time and I went through the upgrade process; however, post reboot of the Mac they refuse to open and I get the error message.  I looked but did not find instructions for downgrading a VM from Fusion 4 to Fusion 3 - does anyone have those handy?

0 Kudos
someciscoguy
Contributor
Contributor

I also copied over a VMware Fusion 3 VM from a Super Duper backup and get the same error, which leads me to believe the issue is not with an actual VM but with a log file for Fusion 4 that thinks a VM is running when it's not. 

I uninstalled Fusion 4 and reinstalled it as well;however, the issue remains.  I'm going to uninstall 4; install 3; and then copy over a Fusion 3 VM again and see if that will open.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

I'm going to uninstall 4; install 3; and then copy over a Fusion 3 VM again and see if that will open.

Please be make sure shutdown all your VM before updating to next release (v4).

I looked but did not find instructions for downgrading a VM from Fusion 4 to Fusion 3 - does anyone have those handy?

VM settings -> Compatiblity -> change from 4 to 3

0 Kudos
sputacus
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos