VMware Communities
mitties
Contributor
Contributor

Oh..Oh...I did it now

Running fusion 3.1.4 and upgraded my imac to osx10.8.2.

And of course my mac says that VM Fusion is not compatible with the OS and will be put in separate file.

Okay...?

What's the best way to upgade to the latest Fusion from where I am now....

Do I have to use time machine or something to

go back to my old osx and run fusion 3.1.4 and upgrade to the latest fusion 5?....then redo my upgrade to OS X 10.8.2?

Or is there some other EASIER way?

Feel pretty stupid I should have checked here first. Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 3.52.38 PM.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at: Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion

After removing the remnants of VMware Fusion 3.x you can download VMware Fusion 5.x and install it directly.

Note that this will not remove your Virtual Machines.

mitties
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Woody Z

Thank you so much.

I'll take a look at this tomorow and download fusion 5+.

Might I ask is it necessary to delete these files, couldn't

the new installation overwrite the files?

Also, does one delete the fusion startup symbol before installing the new version?Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 3.52.38 PM.png

Also it's a great relief that I don't lose my 3 virtual machines and their applications.

Thank you again indeed.

Tim

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Technically no, you do not need to do a manually uninstall first as the VMware Fusion 5.x app contains a bash script in the form of 'Initialize VMware Fusion.tool" that will copy some of the configuration information and license files and then invoke the "fusion-uninstaller.tool" from the previous installed files.  So it's up to you how to proceed and I included the link more as a precautionary measure to ensure all remnants of the old version are removed and one starts with a clean slate.  The primary reason I suggest it is to avoid any issues with the old kernel extensions but if that becomes an issue it's easily resolved after the fact as well.  So if you want to just download VMware Fusion 5.x and install it you should be okay.  If the old VMware Fusion.app bundle is still in the Applications folder I'd move it to the Trash first.  Either way it's safe to send it to the Trash.

0 Kudos
mitties
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody z.....This is where I'm at now.

I installed the upgrade. Now I see the Virtual machine Library , I click ADD and I see the Import command which I click. Then I see the virtual machines that exist on my hard drive. Windows 2000, Windows & and Window 7x 64. But these are all grey out so I can't click on them to be imported.

What am I doing wrong?

Is there an upgrade article that explains this, maybe my steps are incorrect.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Simply use the file open command or just double-click the virtual machine packages.

Sent from iPhone.

0 Kudos
mitties
Contributor
Contributor

Okay WoodyZ.......

That did it.

I feel like I'm as dumb as a post.

Thank you very much.

I actually learned quite a bit.

Tim

Sent from my iPad