VMware Communities
elitedev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oddness with physical disk mounted in two VMs

i've got a physical NTFS disc in my MacPro that i added to my VM(s) with the steps described elsewhere here (using cmdline tool, copying the text file into bundle, etc). i did this for two VMs (which, ftr, never ever ran/run at the same time).

this has been working fine for a few weeks, until i notice that the to views of the physical disk were diverging. one of my VM shows the actual disc content (ie same i get when i mount the disc in OSX), while the other does not. Changes in VM2 neither showed in VM1, nor did any chnages to the physical disk done after the original adding, show in VM2.

looking inside the VM2 bundle now, i see that lots and lots of .vmdk file shave been created for the physical disk, so i'm assuming Fusion is keeping changes made inside VM2 out of the real drive and in a virtual "changelog". i also notice that when VM1 chnages the disk, VM2 will later get (understandably, given the above) upset and find errors that require chkdsk'ing.

Since i used the same steps to mount the disk in both VMs, whats going on here, why is VM2 treating the disk differently? What do i need to do to actually mount the same, shared drive in both VMs (again, they are not runnng at the same time, ever)?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds like VM2 has a snapshot. Don't do that.

elitedev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ah, so snapshots will also affect physical drives? thats scary!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, this is exactly why Boot Camp virtual machines disable snapshot and suspend by default. The hope is that if you're advanced enough to create raw partition mappings yourself, you can handle the consequences Smiley Happy

0 Kudos