VMware Communities
rickbkis
Contributor
Contributor

Odd permissions problem - cif/smb mounts

Ubuntu 7.10 on MacBook intel under VMWare/Parallels (I've seen the same problem under both VM environments).

-

I've done cif (smb) mounts to a Mac share. I can access the share perfectly from a Windows VM or a FreeBSD VM or an outside Windows machine.

Now, let's say I have a directory on the share with a couple of files in it:

srcdir/

file1.txt
file2.txt

And I want to copy that dir to some other point on my share. So, I do it like this:

cp -R (...)/srcdir (...)/dstdir

What happens is Ubuntu complains that it can't create the directory - permission denied. But, when I look in the dstdir, the srcdir is created, but the files underneath aren't.

If I repeat the command, it then sees the directory is created, but then complains about the first file and permissions out, again. But, it appears to copy the file.

If I repeat the command, again, it may or may not complain about permissions for the second file.

Eventually, after several iterations, it all gets copied down - with a lot of complaints along the way.

I've opened up the permissions completely, I've made myself part of the 'root' group, but it still does this.

I suspect this is an Ubuntu issue, and I've posted the same question, there. Thought I'd run it by this community to see if it rings any bells.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thankx,

rickb

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry I do not have a definitive answer for you although I have to say if it works as expected under the other OSes and Physical Machine OS that you have tried and it's only under Ubuntu both in VMware and Parallels you're experiencing this issue then it certainly would seem like an issue specific to Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
rickbkis
Contributor
Contributor

Tend to agree it's an Ubuntu issue, or a cifs under Ubuntu issue.

I'm trying various mount.cifs args to see if it can correct, but I dunno.

I guess I can install new under VMWare, but I hate to do that only to have the same problems.

rickb

0 Kudos
rickbkis
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I have a partial solution.

Apparently, the Mac user and the Linux user aren't quite jiving up with each other.

If I set the Mac share to allow 'everyone' access, it works fine and I don't get the bad behavior.

Hate to open up the share to everyone, but that's what it seemed to take.

rickb

0 Kudos