VMware Communities
dcobb013
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Occasional repeating keys - Win10/Fusion 11.0.2/Mojave

recently started getting the occasional extra keystroke in my Win10 VM. not reproducible, but irritatingly frequent (every couple of minutes?)

I notice it most frequently when in Outlook 2016, scanning email. I'll often bounce between the forward-delete and down-arrow keys when going through my inbox and invariably end up deleting two messages with one keystroke.  (I'm using the Apple extended bluetooth keyboard).  I also see it with standard alpha keys, but (perhaps?) less frequently?

I've tried a few things, like disabling auto-repeat natively in OS X and checked out a couple of promising KB articles but all to no avail.  Suggestions appreciated.

D

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I have seen it, but as you say it is rather intermittent.

Was going to try this myself next time I bump into it, but perhaps you can try too.

What I am about to suggest will restart the vmware tools services in your virtual machine. An alternative way to do so would be restarting your virtual machine, but that is more invasive.

First open a command prompt with administrator rights.

To do so, click the windows icon in the top left and type "cmd" (without the quotes)

You should see "Command prompt" desktop app.

Right click -> run as administrator.

Then run the following commands in the window that opens:

net stop vmtools

net start vmtools

You can continue using your virtual machine.

It takes about a minute (or maybe two minutes) before the vmware tools service calms down and works appropriately.

After that, can you tell me, do you still have the occasional key repeat?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dcobb013
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions, Wil.

• I've restarted vmtools
  • I've rebooted the VM
  • I've even un-installed/re-installed vmtools (with accompanying reboots)
  • no joy 8^(

ideas welcome...

D

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Another thing I would look at is the use of Keyboard Profiles within VMware Fusion.

(Fusion Menu -> Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse)

pastedImage_0.png

Be careful that there are multiple profiles (this is not obvious IMO) and your VM might use a different one as the default one.

To figure out what keyboard profile a VM uses, follow these steps:

For example on a Win10 test VM that I have, click on the VM in the VM Library, then in the VM menu go to settings "Keyboard & Mouse".

pastedImage_1.png

As you can see that VM is NOT using the "Profile Default", but the "Windows 10 Profile"

So select the keyboard profile your VM with the problems has and then uncheck "Enable Mac OS Host Keyboard Shortcuts"

It's a bit of a stab in the dark to be honest, but as the issue is related to keyboard, this is one of the areas you can tweak settings and test the outcome of the changes you make.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos