VMware Communities
Bruce_Ferjulian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OSX - Disable AutoHide Menubar not working.

Details: Version 6.0.6 (2684343)

Hosted OS: Windows 7 64bit

I place the menubar for Windows7 at the top of the window.

What I am looking for is unless I hit ( ctrl-cmd + f ) I don't want to see anything other than Windows 7.

When I go full-screen on the Windows 7 VM, if I hover at the top of the screen the auth-hide of the OSX menubar is not working and the OSX menubar will pop up. I have tried all the settings but can't get it to go away.

This is an update from Fusion 5 which did not behave like this. As you can see in the screen-shot I have ( Hide Menu Bar in Full Screen ) + ( Full Screen Minibar ) set to always hide.

How do I get the Windows 7 system to look like it's not running as a VM unless I return from full-screen mode? The pop-up Apple menu bar is killing it for me

Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 8.45.05 PM.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

Hi Bruce,

I am running Windows 7 32-bit, and I also like to run my virtual machines in full screen mode. I have seen similar behavior to what you reported.

Based on your comments, you seem to understand that the VMware Full Screen Minibar and the OS X menu bar are two different things, and you want both of them to be hidden. I keep the VMware Full Screen Minibar set to "Always Show", but want to hide the OS X menu bar, just like you.

I found that for VMware version 6 and above, the "Hide Menu Bar in Full Screen" setting is usually ignored by VMware after a virtual machine guest starts up. The OS X (Mac) menu bar appears if the mouse cursor strays too close to the top of the screen. The fix is:

--> After the virtual machine guest has finished starting up, disable "Hide Menu Bar in Full Screen", then reenable it. You can type Shift-Command-M twice. After that, the OS X menu bar should remain hidden.

I wish the bug was permanently fixed, but it does not bother me as much as it seems to bother you. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Bruce,

This is completely unsupported, but try editing /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences and add the line:

fusion.showFullScreenTitleBar = "FALSE" 

See also: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1348663#1348663

If the preferences file doesn't exist create it.

Do this with Fusion shut down and be careful not to use a text editor that uses "smart quotes" as with smart quotes, the setting will not be understood.

PS: FWIW I use all of my guests in full screen and on some of them have disabled the drop down menu so as not to interfere with remote desktop, down here it just works.

edit: Apparently the link above is not accessible for everyone.

Sorry about that it was posted in a Fusion 3 preview forum which has now been locked, the gist is that setting.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Bruce_Ferjulian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you both for your suggestions I will try both.

0 Kudos
Bruce_Ferjulian
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update.

The [ Shift-Command-M ] worked.

The edit to the preferences file did not work.

Again, thanks to both that responded.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

The link in Wila's post above may be visible only to those with special privileges, (e.g., moderators like Wila). As an ordinary forum member, I get a "Restricted Access" page, so don't be surprised if you have the same issue.

0 Kudos