VMware Communities
Dr_Gary
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OSX 10.7.2 Build 11C71 + Fusion 4.0.2 + 3D Graphics = Now Works!

FYI...

I installed the new devloper beta of OSX 10.7.2 (Build 11C62) released yesterday...and now my virtual machines running under Fusion 4.0.1 will no longer boot unless you disable 3D graphics via settings.

This did work normally in the prior build 11C55.

Update....

New OSX build 10.7.2 11C71 now works fine with Fusion 4.0.2!!!!

Thanks...

GKG

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ZeFyre
Contributor
Contributor

GKG,

Just wanted to confirm I've seen this too on the same build of 10.7.2, and it's not just Fusion 4, but also Fusion 3.  Hoping this gets fixed ASAP, I am a student, and have to use certain educational programs in Windows (I can do this with 3D graphics disabled, but, originally thinking this issue was my VM I wasted a lot of time reinstalling Windows trying to fix it).

Anybody from VMW listening to this?  This is a major usability-killer.  I am trialing Fusion 4 right now and can also confirm the bug is in there as well.  I have no intention of purchasing a license until I see this bug fixed (it is actually why I finally bothered to give the trial a shot).

All the best,

Quinn

0 Kudos
ShaddamIV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ouch. If 10.7.2 broke both Fusion 3 and 4 it'd be a major bummer.

0 Kudos
Dr_Gary
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the confirmation...

I would think the GM release of 10.7.2 is imminent...I certainly hope this gets fixed as well...this would cause a huge issue for VMware...

GKG

0 Kudos
billearl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No such problem here with 3D Graphics enabled, Windows XP / Vista / 7, Fusion 4.0.1, OSX 10.7.2 (Build 11C62). Mac Pro 1,1 with ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card if that matters.

EDIT: My Windows VMs are 32-bit, in case that matters.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Gary,

Thanks for the report. We can't unforunately talk about unreleased OS versions.

However, you know that VMware Fusion 3 and 4 have worked quite well with 3D graphics up until now. So, I hope that when the next release of Mac OS X is released publically there will be no issues.

Pat

0 Kudos
Dr_Gary
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pat,

Thanks for the reply.

My post was simply meant as a "heads-up" to you folks at VMWare.  It was not a complaint or an attempt to get you to speak about unreleased version of OSX.  All I know is that 10.7.2 will be relleased any day now...and if this issue is not fixed...you are going to have huge number of unhappy VMWare Fusion folks.

By the way...the newly released 4.0.2 update does NOT fix the issue...my VM is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

GKG

0 Kudos
ZeFyre
Contributor
Contributor

Pat,

Have to agree with GKG on this.  If you're a member of Mac Developer Program, you would have access to these builds of OS X.  The wise decision on your company's part would be to keep up with these and ensure compatibility so that you don't have to field angry support requests when an OS update is released and totally hoses over a large number of your customers.  Again, for my two cents, I am holding back my purchase of F4 until I see it work again--I love how the UI looks and all but because I actually use F3/F4 in my education I can't exactly afford to pay for something that doesn't work reasonably close to what is advertised.  While I totally understand that you may already know about these issues "under the hood" my best advice would be to ensure you're keeping up with this and that support reps are trained with an "automatic response" to this issue if you don't have it tackled when 10.7.2 final does hit (many of us expect this within a week or two's time).

Thank you for your response!

--Quinn

0 Kudos
ZeFyre
Contributor
Contributor

Pat,

So you are aware, this bug resides in VMGL, and keeps machines with hardware 3D video acceleration enabled from booting (it crashes VMX when VMGL hits an error).  Disabling hardware 3D video acceleration immediately allows machines to run properly.  This is a bug that especially would cause Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Linux with Compiz users to report this as a bug keeping VM's from booting.  To reiterate, this is a bug with 3D hardware video acceleration, so those of us using Aero on Vista/7 or Linux/other Compiz (or any other 3D app) will see a crash caused by this.

If you would like me to send you my crash logs, please provide an off-forum place for me to do so, I've seen what those crashlog tarballs have in them and do not wish to make mine publically available.

Thank you!

--Quinn

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Gary and Quinn,

We keep up with REDACTED builds as they become available and report bugs to Apple when we find them and work with Apple to get them fixed.

We just can't talk about specifics about what is going on due to our confidential developer agreement with Apple.

Gary, 4.0.2 is a fix for a single issue that only affects running Mac OS X Lion in a VM after updated to a future build.

More details when we can share them.

Pat

0 Kudos
ZeFyre
Contributor
Contributor

Pat,

Excellent!  I think we just wanted some sort of confirmation that you guys are on top of things, in fact I'll be willing to bet you guys have seen this internally and have already handled it, I know I do (and I'm sure GKG does as well) understand that you obviously can't tell us anything specific.

Looking forward to whatever official response comes out!

Cheers!

--Quinn

0 Kudos