VMware Communities
Critforce
Contributor
Contributor

OSX 10.5.7 Multiple Display Support Broken

Hello,

I am having this problem ever since updating to OSX 10.5.7. Fusion will not display on only one monitor in full screen or window mode. The problem did not show up until I switched over to "Use all displays in full screen mode", now it wont switch back in full screen or window mode. I saw the warning about the ATI driver but I'm running an NVIDIA graphics card in my Mac Pro.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougBrant
Contributor
Contributor

What version onf Fusion are you running?

0 Kudos
Critforce
Contributor
Contributor

Version 2.0.4 (159196)

0 Kudos
clindloff
Contributor
Contributor

I can get full screen dual display to work, for a while. If do any kind of streaming media it will hang OS X totally. I have to press the power button. If I dont run in dual screen mode, Macbook unibody and external 22inch monitor its fine.

I have been eyeballing Parallels lately especially considering the speed of it. This problem just adds to it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I am having this problem ever since updating to OSX 10.5.7. Fusion will not display on only one monitor in full screen or window mode. The problem did not show up until I switched over to "Use all displays in full screen mode", now it wont switch back in full screen or window mode.

The "Use All Displays in Full Screen" command acts on a per Virtual Machine basis, not globally, and by default the target Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file will not have a parameter set until this command has been selected then when selected Fusion sets the following parameter.

gui.fullScreenOnAllHostDisplays = "TRUE"

It also toggles the menu item to show as "Use Single Display in Full Screen" and selecting this command will then change the parameter to the following.

gui.fullScreenOnAllHostDisplays = "FALSE"

So with the target Virtual Machine shutdown, not suspended and Fusion closed make sure the parameter is set to "FALSE" or if not present add it. The only other suggestion I have would be to uninstall/reinstall VMware Fusion and see if that fixes it. Note that uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion does not remove the Virtual Machines.

==========

For help with the location of the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file have a look at or .

You can use TextEdit to edit the target Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file and to locate the file...

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Navigating VMware Fusion > Using the Virtual Machine Library Window > Determine the location of a virtual machine's files

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Using the VMware Fusion Interface > Working with Virtual Machine Packages

0 Kudos
Critforce
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion I did check that just now and it is set to "FALSE". That seems to toggle correctly when I choose the option in the view pull down menu but even when I have it in windowed mode it acts like there are two screens connected. If I go into the display properties in Windows inside the VM it shows as if there are two screens and the "Extend my desktop to this blah blah" is checked. If I uncheck that option and hit apply the check just reappears. I've attached two screenshots, the first one shows that the option is not enabled in the view menu, the second shows the thumbnail of the VM in it's double wide glory.

0 Kudos