VMware Communities
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OS2 on Fusion 4.1?

Anyone manage to install OS/2 on Fusion 4.1? Fusion refused to boot from my OS/2 disc, claiming No Operating System was found. I added this to the .vmx and changed the boot sequence to boot from the superdrive first but no use:

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"
9 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

OS\2 is not supported under VMware Fusion however I'd try using an ISO Image not Optical Media to see if you get any further.

To create an ISO Image using Disk Utility...

1. Insert the CD or DVD disc in your computer's optical drive.
2. Open Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility).
3. Select the CD or DVD disc in the list of disks and volumes.
4. Choose File > New > "Disk Image from (Name of Disc)."
5. Type a name for the disc image.
6. Choose "DVD/CD master" from the Image Format pop-up menu.
7. Choose "none" from the Encryption pop-up menu.
8. Click Save.

Then assign the Image to the Virtual Machine's CD/DVD.

crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tried, it still refuse to boot. Why? Even if it is not supported, it should at least boot up.

I will try to create the VM from Workstation and copy it to my Mac. Hopefully Fusion can use Workstation OS/2 VM.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

True, "not supported" does not always mean it definitely will not work however support for OS\2 is extremely limited and only supported under ESX/ESXi and Server and then only OS\2 Warp 4 and OS/2 Warp Server for e-Business 4.5.2 which is why I linked "OS\2 is not supported under VMware Fusion" to View the Guest/Host OS tab on the VMware Compatibility Guide Web site in my first reply in thins thread. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's my progress on OS/2:

The disc is not bootable. Will need to use the floppy disk image to boot up, swap to 2nd floppy disk before it will access the disc to continue. However, it freezed before getting to the disc.

The same happen with Workstation. I only get OS/2 to run in this setup:

OS/2 > Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 > Microsoft Windows XP > vmware Workstation > Microsoft Windows 7

I also tried to import the OS/2 harddisk image into both Workstation and Fusion but both give the following error message:

OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or diskette drive.

The system is stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system.

Is there a way to boot OS/2 into safe mode so that I can at least amend it's config.sys to correct the preceding driver order?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I also tried to import the OS/2 harddisk image into both Workstation and Fusion but both give the following error message:

OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or diskette drive.

The system is stopped. Correct the preceding error and restart the system.

Is there a way to boot OS/2 into safe mode so that I can at least amend it's config.sys to correct the preceding driver order?

You should be able to boot and edit/modify files in a Virtual Machine the same way as with a Physical Machine so act accordingly.

Also VirtualBox has support for running OS\2 Warp 3, 4 and 4.5 and it's free, so you might want to give it a try.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

not exactly what you asked for ....
but maybe it helps to verify your vmx-settings ...

try the Ecomstation LiveCD
http://www.ecomstation.com/democd/

0 Kudos
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi continuum, will Ecomstation LiveCD able to boot on a Mac and has the necessary drivers to function properly?

I assume that it is backward compatible to run all the old OS/2 apps?

btw, I have verify my vmx-settings:

GuestOS = "os2experimental"
monitor_control.vt32 = "TRUE"

Just wonder if I can boot into CLI and amend the config.sys

0 Kudos
bhwong7
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualbox does not support OS/2 except version 2 and below. This is similar to VirtualPC. Only the older version support it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

@bhwong7 At the time I wrote the reply, 18 months ago, that you've just now responded to I had documentation from VirtualBox that stated the versions I mention as supported, otherwise I wouldn't have said it!  I always vet the information I post if I haven't had first hand experience with it! Smiley Wink  I can only assume VirtuaBox has since altered its documentation.