VMware Communities
Winstone
Contributor
Contributor

OS X sleep wake messages missing from system log

I usually put my Mac Pro to sleep instead of turning it off.  Today I noticed that the system.log is missing the messages associated with sleeping and waking. The last time these messages showed up was 3 days ago, even though I put the Mac to sleep and woke it up several times since then.

The kinds of messages that I know for sure are missing are:

27/01/15 5:01:00 PM hostname kernel Debug AirPort: Link Down on en2

27/01/15 6:20:49 PM hostname kernel Debug vmnet: bridge-en0: interface en is going DOWN

27/01/15 5:01:00 PM hostname kernel Debug System Sleep

27/01/15 6:20:49 PM hostname kernel Debug Wake reason = EHCI

27/01/15 6:20:49 PM hostname kernel Debug System Wake

27/01/15 6:20:49 PM hostname kernel Debug vmmon: powerStateDidChange flags=0x82 (state 4)

27/01/15 6:20:49 PM hostname kernel Debug Previous Sleep Cause: 5

It occurred to me that maybe the messages are missing because I put the Mac to sleep while a Windows VM was running. I verified this by shutting down the VM, then sleeping and waking the Mac. The messages were not missing this time.

I apparently started up the VM 3 days ago but never shut it down before putting the Mac to sleep. I've been doing this for years, but noticed the missing log messages only now.

Is this behavior (missing log messages) to be expected/normal?  If it's normal, why?  If it's not normal, and these messages were not missing before, what might have gone wrong or what did I mess up?

Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X 10.5.8, Fusion 3.1.4, Windows Server 2008.

0 Kudos
0 Replies