VMware Communities
mhamson
Contributor
Contributor

OS X Server 10.5.5 > 10.5.6 Fails

Have not seen anyone talk about this yet... but have tried on several different images to upgrade 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 and it fails.

Here is what happens:

1) You pull the update from Apple Updates (for example)

2) Set your permissions to the install and agree to EULA

3) Downloads, restarts, and Installs package

4) Reboots after update....

It is on step #4 where you will never get past the initial boot process... screen stays in the EFI load sequence it seems and just hangs. Not sure what has changed... but it will kill an image for the time being.

-Michael

0 Kudos
10 Replies
chort
Contributor
Contributor

I'm unclear what you're talking about. Is this attempting to run an OS X server VM inside Fusion? I downloaded the combo update and have been waiting until the end of the day to apply it. If there are reliability problems, or a bad interaction with Fusion I'll hold off.

Thanks for any info.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm unclear what you're talking about. Is this attempting to run an OS X server VM inside Fusion? I downloaded the combo update and have been waiting until the end of the day to apply it. If there are reliability problems, or a bad interaction with Fusion I'll hold off.

What's the big deal? Just make a backup (not using Time Machine) of the Virtual Machine Package (while Fusion is not running) and then if there is a problem upgrading you can just drop back to the backup.

0 Kudos
Appanage
Contributor
Contributor

The only way you can install the 10.5.6 update and keep things running right now is to uninstall VMware Tools until VMware decides to update Fusion. This means no access to VMware Shared Folders from inside the guest, keep in mind.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I would recommend against updating to 10.5.6 in the guest at this time. There are a number of known issues with 10.5.6 guests detailed in (and probably the Fusion release notes when they get updated).

0 Kudos
Appanage
Contributor
Contributor

Hi etung,

Can I ask the proverbial "any approximate release date for the Fusion update" question? Don't need an exact date, just wondering within a week or a few when it is expected.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
chort
Contributor
Contributor

It wasn't clear to me whether they were talking about updating the guest causing problems, or the host. I agree problems with the guest are easy to get around, but host upgrades tend to be permanent.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can ask, but I'm not allowed to answer Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Appanage
Contributor
Contributor

Fair enough - totally understand. Enjoy the holiday and hoping for an update under my tree!

0 Kudos
davidliu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Michael,

There are indeed a couple of issues with Mac OS X Server 10.5.6 guest. See the updated VMware Fusion 2.0.1 Release Notes for the issues and workaround:

http://www.vmware.com/support/fusion2/doc/releasenotes_fusion_201.html#beforebegin

The workarounds are not perfect but should get you back in your 10.5.6 guest if you already updated from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 and did not take a snapshot before the update. And a bit of good news is that you do not have to uninstall VMware Tools, just turn off vmware-tools-guestd. You will find the detailed steps on how to do this in above link. Let us know if you see more issues with 10.5.6 guest.

Thanks,

David Liu, Product Manager, VMware Fusion

0 Kudos
mhamson
Contributor
Contributor

David,

Thanks for the update (and sorry for getting back to the thread so late). So long as people are aware... and we all work around or remain patient... all is good Smiley Happy

-Michael

0 Kudos