VMware Communities
fhall1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OS X 10.9 Mavericks in a VM - doubleclick on desktop doesn't work

Fusion 5.x....OS X 10.8.4 host.  Upgraded a 10.8.3 VM to Mavericks DP1.  Issue I ran into is that I can't open anything placed on the desktop with a double-click.

If I right-click and select "open", the item opens with no problem.  If I double-click an item in an already open Finder window it will also open, just items on the dektop won't - like hard drive icons, network shares, .DMG installers, etc.

Today I updated to DP2 and still have the issue.  Right-click/"open" works, but is kind of a pain.  Another person writing on Macrumors.com is also experiencing the same issue.

Any ideas???

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We have reported the issue to Apple and they acknowledged that it is a bug in Mavericks, that they will fix in subsequent developer seed builds.

In theory, you should be able to reproduce the issue without VMware Fusion, by running Mavericks on a physical machine and trying to double-click with a USB tablet.

What is going on in the input stack is there is a field on all mouse events called click count.  Some apps will perform double click actions when the click count is 2 and a button is pressed.  Whereas other apps will look for two clicks within a small amount of time.  The issue with this bug is that the click count field is not getting incremented inside of the Mavericks kernel's HID driver for absolute interface devices. The "mouse" VMware Fusion exposes to Mac OS guests is more like a "tablet", in the sense that it uses absolute, not relative, coordinates.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

For 10.8, focus on testing this version of Fusion: VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2013

0 Kudos
glutenenvy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That isn't the answer. The latest preview has the same problem. No double click on the desktop.

Has anybody been able to get double click on desktop enabled with Mavericks guest in Fusion?

fhall1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for letting me know....now I won't have to waste my time installing the Fusion Preview.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Understood, but reporting issues in that forum is more important (and, based on past experience, it'll be that version that has support first).

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We have reported the issue to Apple and they acknowledged that it is a bug in Mavericks, that they will fix in subsequent developer seed builds.

In theory, you should be able to reproduce the issue without VMware Fusion, by running Mavericks on a physical machine and trying to double-click with a USB tablet.

What is going on in the input stack is there is a field on all mouse events called click count.  Some apps will perform double click actions when the click count is 2 and a button is pressed.  Whereas other apps will look for two clicks within a small amount of time.  The issue with this bug is that the click count field is not getting incremented inside of the Mavericks kernel's HID driver for absolute interface devices. The "mouse" VMware Fusion exposes to Mac OS guests is more like a "tablet", in the sense that it uses absolute, not relative, coordinates.

0 Kudos
fhall1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks....at least I now know it's not something I did - or didn't do.

0 Kudos