VMware Communities
forrie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OS X 10.7 Image Insists on Pairing With Bluetooth Keyboard

I have an older VMware Fusion image of OS X 10.7 that I ported over.   When I boot it, it insists on pairing with a bluetooth keyboard and I'm unable to use it -- even the mouse doesn't work.   

I looked through the device configs, profile, etc, and I don't see an obvious way to fix this.  Does anyone know how?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OS X will pop up the Bluetooth keyboard window when fails to find any attached USB keyboard.  Three things to check:

1. Check that the virtual machine is configured with a USB controller.  OS X does not include support for legacy PS/2 keyboards, so a USB controller is a requirement.  When a VM has a USB controller, we will automatically emulate a USB keyboard and mouse.

2. Check that the USB controller is configured for USB 2.0... This is in Fusion under Virtual Machine > Settings... > USB & Bluetooth, then expand the Advanced USB options and check that USB Compatibility is set to USB 2.0.

3. Check that the guest OS type is set correctly.  Some versions of OS X (or the older Mac OS X Server) have strict requirements for their USB controllers and their USB keyboards, and setting the guest OS in Fusion (Virtual Machine > Settings... > General, then look for OS), will ensure that we are using appropriate and compatible emulated hardware.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OS X will pop up the Bluetooth keyboard window when fails to find any attached USB keyboard.  Three things to check:

1. Check that the virtual machine is configured with a USB controller.  OS X does not include support for legacy PS/2 keyboards, so a USB controller is a requirement.  When a VM has a USB controller, we will automatically emulate a USB keyboard and mouse.

2. Check that the USB controller is configured for USB 2.0... This is in Fusion under Virtual Machine > Settings... > USB & Bluetooth, then expand the Advanced USB options and check that USB Compatibility is set to USB 2.0.

3. Check that the guest OS type is set correctly.  Some versions of OS X (or the older Mac OS X Server) have strict requirements for their USB controllers and their USB keyboards, and setting the guest OS in Fusion (Virtual Machine > Settings... > General, then look for OS), will ensure that we are using appropriate and compatible emulated hardware.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

forrie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THANK YOU

This worked and fixed the problem.  It needed USB 2.0 compat.  It's been a while since I've used Fusion here, and I really appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Changing USB settiings from 3.1 to 2.0 fixed the issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos