VMware Communities
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) VM fails to find keyboard in Fusion 12

As a hobby, I maintain VMs of all major DOS and Windows versions, as well as all OS X versions (10.7 thru 10.15). Within the past week. I have upgraded my computer's OS to macOS 11.0 Big Sur and have upgraded Fusion from 11.x to 12.0.

Subsequently, I have been testing all my VMs, which all successfully updated to v12. For the most part, my DOS and Windows VMs are working okay, as well as all my macOS except OS X 10.11 El Capitan). OS X 0.11 boots up just fine up to the login screen - but then it fails to find my (Apple extended) Bluetooth keyboard (and sits there until I force a shutdown) nor responds to mouse movements. All other OS X versions before and after 10.11 find the bluetooth keyboard just fine.

In the VM settings, Keyboard & Mouse is set to "Mac Profile" and USB & Bluetooth is set to "Share Bluetooth devices with the virtual machine". I have powered off my keyboard and back on during keyboard detection.

Obviously I could buy a USB keyboard and that will solve my immediate problem (I already have an old Mac USB mouse for emergencies). But that is not optimum when all other VMs work just fine.

Any ideas or suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi mhwill,

Would you please try to change USB compatibility to 2.0 and see if it helps?

You can set it in USB&Bluetooth panel.

Regards,

-Rick

View solution in original post

19 Replies
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oops, meant to attach a screenshot. Here is the first of two.

0 Kudos
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's the 2nd screenshot.

0 Kudos
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update: I connected my Bluetooth keyboard via USB cable to my Mac as well as connected a hardwired USB mouse to the Mac, then booted up my OS X 10.11 El Capitan VM -- still no success -- the VM does not recognize either keyboard and mouse. (But both work fine on my host OS.) So much for thinking hardwired hardware would solve the problem.

Thinking perhaps the VM was corrupted somehow, I then restored an "archived" OS X 10.11 VM from late 2018 to my Mac and then booted it up. Exact same results.

I think my next step (at some point in the future) is to try to reinstall the OS from scratch.

0 Kudos
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Updated: Well, trying to reinstall macOS 10.11 El Capitan in Fusion 12 failed as well. The installer process started normally, but eventually got to the point where it displayed 2 graphics (cycling between the two continuously) - one showing a Bluetooth keyboard with the power slider switch moving to the on direction, and the other of the Bluetooth mouse with the power slider switch moving to the on direction.

So I am guessing there must be a problem with VMware Fusion installation configuration settings ?!?

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi mhwill,

Would you please try to change USB compatibility to 2.0 and see if it helps?

You can set it in USB&Bluetooth panel.

Regards,

-Rick

mhwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rick,

You're a genius! Or at least a very competent employee. It worked like a charm.

I was vaguely aware of the USB Compatibility setting, but had not thought of trying it since both macOS versions before it (10.10) and after it (10.12) both have their USB setting at 3.1.

Thanks so much for solving this problem. (I was going to say "solving my problem", but my friends and family would probably say I have many problems <grin>.)

PeaceFreak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Changing the USB version worked for me too!

0 Kudos
SimplyHere
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yup! That pretty much did it. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
peggyversweyvel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Goodevening

0 Kudos
peggyversweyvel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Goodevening,

I also have the problem that after updating to osx Catalina and upgrading from vm ware 10 to 12 fusion , the trackpad/mousse doesn't work anymore in windows. In the mac component it works perfectly and in the windows i can move the cursor but i can't click. The hardware is upgradet to version 18 so that is ok i think. I read to change the usb compatibility to 2.0 but i can't find where to do that .

Can you help me please because for the moment i can't open my working program.

With kind regards 

Versweyveld Peggy

0 Kudos
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Peggy, in Fusion v12:

• Go to Virtual Machine menu and select Settings...
  • Click on the USB & Bluetooth button
  • About two-thirds the way down, there is a small line of text: Advanced USB Options; click on the little " > " toggle
  • The screen expands and you will see a pop-up menu for USB Compatibility; it probably displays USB 3.1
  • Click on the pop-up menu and choose USB 2.0
0 Kudos
peggyversweyvel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that tip . Now i found it but it says 2.0 and the trackpad doesn't react .

You have other ideas ?  

With kind regards

Peggy

0 Kudos
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Peggy, let's clarify your situation for my better understanding.

1. You have upgraded the macOS to Catalina 10.15
  2. You have upgraded VM Ware Fusion to v.12
  3. The trackpad works fine in the macOS but not in Windows under Fusion
  4. Under Windows, sliding your finger across the trackpad moves the cursor on the screen, but clicking on the trackpad has no effect

What version of Windows are you running? A (fairly) recent version of Windows 10?
Does the keyboard work under Windows?
Does a mouse (as opposed to the trackpad) work under Windows? Or experience the same move but not click action?
If you right-click on the trackpad, what happens?

In Fusion's settings for this particular VM you are running, under System Settings : Keyboard & Mouse, what PROFILE are you running - Mac Profile? Profile - Default? Windows 10 Profile? I generally use Mac Profile and not the Windows 10 Profile.

0 Kudos
peggyversweyvel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Goodmorning,

Everything you have said is correct . 
The windows is windows xp professional . The keyboard works , another mouse also doesn’t work : movement yes but no clicking . The right - click does nothing.

I tried every profile but nothing works .

Thanks 
Peggy
0 Kudos
peggyversweyvel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there another thing i can try to make the trackpad work again? Or can i contact someone to solve the problem ?

With kind regards

Peggy

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Just to make sure, you're not connecting the trackpad to the VM as a USB device, right?  There's no need to do that.

Also, does ctrl-click work?  That's an alternate to right click.

0 Kudos
peggyversweyvel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think it is not as a USB device .

control-click doesn't work either

0 Kudos
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Peggy, I finally got around to launching my copy of Windows XP within VMWare Fusion. I use a stand Macintosh Magic Mouse and do not have a trackpad, but...

Going into the VM (Windows XP) Settings, and selecting Keyboard and Mouse, I tried both the Mac Profile and the Profile - Default. The mouse worked fine (moving, clicking, right clicking and control-clicking) under both profiles. Unfortunately, I am out of ideas of why neither your trackpad or mouse work under these conditions.

It is possible, but unlikely, that individual settings within these two profiles differ radically from your settings, but I have attached a PDF with screen shots of my Mac Profile and Profile - Default settings, just in case a particular setting makes a difference.

0 Kudos
mhwill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Peggy, I am also assuming you have tried other things. But for completeness sake, I will still ask:

• Is Vmware Tools installed?
  • Have you tried reinstalling VMware Tools?
  • Have you checked Windows XP Control Panel : Mouse settings?

Again, I. have taken some screen shots of my Windows XP VM to show you what the settings are for my Mac Magic Mouse.

0 Kudos