VMware Communities
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite VM freezes after Security Update 2017-003

​... And this both in the update offered from the Mac App Store and also with the standalone one (luckily, I had VM backups to roll back and test again): so, what could have triggered this behavior (total mouse freeze, and thus unusable VM)...? The recent OS X/macOS updates for 10.11+ all went well: only the Yosemite VM froze, after applying the security update (with Fusion 8.5.8 and Sierra 10.12.6 host, on MacBook Pro 2013). Very strange (not that having a Yosemite VM is indispensable, but anyway...)...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
klanomath
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seems to be a problem with the virtual USB 3.0 VMware devices. In the settings of a/the VM > USB & Bluetooth > Advanced USB options > USB compatibility revert to USB 2.0 and mouse and keyboard should work again.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I saw the same issue when I installed updates on my OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 VM, also in Fusion 8.5.8 on macOS 10.12.6 host: mouse and keyboard both stopped working inside the VM. For comparison, no such problem with the latest security update on a native Yosemite system running on my Mac mini (2012). Also no problem with the latest updates in VMs running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

One detail of note: my Yosemite VM is using the Der Flounder BeamOff technique to improve UI performance in the Yosemite VM, but this is set up to run via a LaunchAgent, which doesn't kick in until after the login window. I wasn't able to get that far because I couldn't move the mouse or type anything in Yosemite's login window.

Investigation so far:

1. Restored my backup of the Yosemite VM, then installed all available updates apart from Security Update 2017-003. Still works, so it definitely looks like the security update. (I note that the iTunes 12.6.2 update is not offered on Yosemite until after this security update has been applied, but I never got that far on my first attempt to install updates, and I doubt iTunes would have such a wide impact on the system.)

2. Took a snapshot of the VM.

3. Set up Remote Management in System Preferences and confirmed I can remotely control the VM using Remote Desktop from my host Mac, including entering password in the OS X login screen.

4. Installed the security update again. After restart, again confirmed that the keyboard and mouse are not working in the VM.

5. Used Remote Desktop. It can control Yosemite in the VM, therefore the problem is only that VMware Fusion 8.5.8 is not able to forward keyboard/mouse activity to the VM.

6. Just in case, I did a Reinstall VMware Tools. It didn't help.

As I use this VM rarely, I'm happy to leave it in this "indirectly usable" state for now, if there is anything else that someone would like me to try or there is anything useful I can gather from it.

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

One more detail I thought to look up:

In the Yosemite VM, System Information > System Report > USB shows the source of the problem.

USB Bus

USB Hi-Speed Bus

• VMware Virtual USB Video Device

There are no input devices present.

For comparison, in my El Capitan VM I see the following:

USB 2.0 Bus

• VMware Virtual USB Video Device

USB 3.0 Bus

• VMware Virtual USB Hub
  • VMware Virtual USB Hub
    • VMware Bluetooth Adapter
  • VMware Virtual USB Keyboard
  • VMware Virtual USB Mouse

USB Bus

0 Kudos
klanomath
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seems to be a problem with the virtual USB 3.0 VMware devices. In the settings of a/the VM > USB & Bluetooth > Advanced USB options > USB compatibility revert to USB 2.0 and mouse and keyboard should work again.

dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Switching to USB 2 in the Yosemite VM worked for me. Thanks.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Same here: it works with USB 2.0...

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks to both for your valuable troubleshooting and temporary solution.

Now, it remains to know why USB 3.0 doesn't work, in VMware Fusion 8.5.8, in a Yosemite 10.10.5 VM with the 2017-003 security update applied... :smileyinfo::smileycool:

dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That was some awesome community teamwork and problem-solving!

I've filed an internal problem report for our USB engineers to investigate and hopefully come up with a fix.

Thanks,

--

Darius

SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just FYI: the bug (anyway, not a so important one) is still present in VMware Fusion 10.0.1...

0 Kudos