VMware Communities
arbi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OEM key with Fusion?

Has anyone successfully used an OEM key with Fusion? I suddenly thought of this while investigating on a topic on another thread.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/237418?tstart=0

It appears that OEM keys are not officially allowed to be installed in any virtualization software.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OEM DSP "whitebox" versions of Windows do work as VMs for Fusion. The product key might not work through the Easy Install wizard of Fusion, but a custom install will work. As stated, legally, you need to be someone that is allowed to use an OEM version, but otherwise, OEM DSP system builder versions of Windows will work as VMs.

@Gingerpip: What is usually "not compatible" is branded OEM versions of Windows. (i.e.: Windows prestalled on your Dell or HP computer.) Those versions of Windows look for the specific manufacturer's hardware and usually won't reactivate correctly on different manufacturer's hardware. But "whitebox" OEM software is not hardware specific so can be run as a VM. However there are other limitations that are spelled out in the OEM and other system builder agreements with Microsoft.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you are not an OEM or System Builder as defined by the EULA you're not entitled to use OEM versions and even if you are one of the requirements after installation of a OEM version is it is then distributed to the reseller/customer meaning your not entitled to use it for personal use as the installer of the OEM is in the middle of the transaction not the end user of the product.

0 Kudos
arbi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But that doesn't really answer the question. 😛

0 Kudos
gingerpip
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue a while ago and could not solve it - I was told that OEM software isn not compatable.

I've been running it with win 7 beta and have bought the full version for a fairly cheap price on pre-order.

This is the only solution i could find

0 Kudos
arbi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After some research I guess I should have said "OEI DSP (OEM)" as opposed to just "OEM". But I guess that doesn't change anything. 😛

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OEM DSP "whitebox" versions of Windows do work as VMs for Fusion. The product key might not work through the Easy Install wizard of Fusion, but a custom install will work. As stated, legally, you need to be someone that is allowed to use an OEM version, but otherwise, OEM DSP system builder versions of Windows will work as VMs.

@Gingerpip: What is usually "not compatible" is branded OEM versions of Windows. (i.e.: Windows prestalled on your Dell or HP computer.) Those versions of Windows look for the specific manufacturer's hardware and usually won't reactivate correctly on different manufacturer's hardware. But "whitebox" OEM software is not hardware specific so can be run as a VM. However there are other limitations that are spelled out in the OEM and other system builder agreements with Microsoft.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your totally right - OEM does work just need to install the key in the windows set up again even if it is installed in the easy setup.

Just did it in XP professional 32.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your totally right - OEM does work just need to install the key in the windows set up again even if it is installed in the easy setup. Just did it in XP professional 32.

If you are not an OEM or System Builder as defined by the EULA you're not entitled to use OEM versions and even if you are one of the requirements after installation of a OEM version is it is then distributed to the reseller/customer meaning your not entitled to use it for personal use as the installer of the OEM is in the middle of the transaction not the end user of the product.

0 Kudos
arbi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As for WoodyZ's warnings about OEM/OEI-DSP, I assume he is VMware (edited from "Parallels") staff and he says it for liability reasons which I can understand 100%.

That said, I think installing an OEM/OEI-DSP key with Fusion (even if you are "qualified") might be risky because after a successful first install, you might not be able to try different virtualization products and even changing to newer versions of the same virtualization product because it might alter the "hardware" (note the quotes) too much. And since OEM/OEI-DSP keys are not allowed to be used in a different "hardware" (even if you uninstall the older one and as opposed to retail keys), this might be a problem.

Edit: Changed mistake saying "Parallels" instead of "VMware"

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As for WoodyZ's warnings about OEM/OEI-DSP, I assume he is Parallels staff and he says it for liability reasons which I can understand 100%.

I am not Parallels staff and I'm stating what I am because that is the way it is. Using OEM Media is not a substitute for buying Retail if what one is is a retail customer not a legitimate OEM/System Builder and just trying to save some money.

That said, I think installing an OEM/OEI-DSP key with Fusion (even if you are "qualified") might be risky because after a successful first install, you might not be able to try different virtualization products and even changing to newer versions of the same virtualization product because it might alter the "hardware" (note the quotes) too much. And since OEM/OEI-DSP keys are not allowed to be used in a different "hardware" (even if you uninstall the older one and as opposed to retail keys), this might be a problem.

Yes you can/will run into problems under a number of conditions.

0 Kudos
arbi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Heh. Obviously I meant "VMware" instead of "Parallels". But I guess you're not that either. Anyways, I understand your stance.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hey I am confused here in Aus you can legit buy an OEM liscence from the Computer shop if your building a system.

I bought a xp professional 64 bit. Also have retail versions of vista home prem to ultimate.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hey I am confused here in Aus you can legit buy an OEM liscence from the Computer shop if your building a system.

I bought a xp professional 64 bit. Also have retail versions of vista home prem to ultimate.

EULA's can vary from country to country for the same product however any comments I've made pertains to the OEM System Builders EULA in the USA as that's where I reside as well as the headquarters for VMware and the servers on which these forums or hosted.

0 Kudos
benc1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has anyone used an OEM key successfully? Clearly the answer is yes as many posts on these forums verify.

I assume this is referring to Windows licenses. But which ones? Some licenses specifically denied permission for VMs. (Indeed I think some early vista retail licenses did if memory serves - tho subsequent licenses were more sane).

An OEM license is designed to be distributed with a new pc. Non transferable. Retail you can transfer the license/upgrade motherboard etc and not worry.

The main thrust of the OEM windows is that is is designed to be installed/provided with a pc and the license key locked to that pc. Some components you can replace, others (eg motherboards) can be more problematic.

It could in theory exist in a vm on that pc but the licenses I've seen (eg vista oem as in the link you provided) specifically say this is against the terms of use. So yes it will work but is against the terms of use as I understand it.

Short version - always get a retail license for MS software if it's going to be installed in a VM. With older os's eg xp it's very hard to get a retail license these days and oem may be the only available option. I can't see anything in the XP OEM EULA saying you can't use it in a VM - but I'm no legal expert.

Windows 7 Prof - as I understand includes the ability to run XP inside MS virtualization on a suitable PC. I don't know how it activates. Is there a way of buying Windows 7 and extracting the XP key to provide a legit way of running XP under fusion?

Anyway if it's windows 7 you want - some good deals on at present so a good time to get a retail license for use in Fusion. It's probably a more fun thing to do than trying to read and understand the complexity of Microsoft EULAs :smileygrin:

asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Has anyone used an OEM key successfully? Clearly the answer is yes as many posts on these forums verify.

I assume this is referring to Windows licenses. But which ones? Some licenses specifically denied permission for VMs. (Indeed I think some early vista retail licenses did if memory serves - tho subsequent licenses were more sane).

An OEM license is designed to be distributed with a new pc. Non transferable. Retail you can transfer the license/upgrade motherboard etc and not worry.

The main thrust of the OEM windows is that is is designed to be installed/provided with a pc and the license key locked to that pc. Some components you can replace, others (eg motherboards) can be more problematic.

It could in theory exist in a vm on that pc but the licenses I've seen (eg vista oem as in the link you provided) specifically say this is against the terms of use. So yes it will work but is against the terms of use as I understand it.

Originally, Vista Home was not allowed to be run as a virtual machine. I believe MS has reversed that so any version of Vista can be run as a virtual machine. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) But who would want to run Vista Home as a VM anyway? 😛

Short version - always get a retail license for MS software if it's going to be installed in a VM. With older os's eg xp it's very hard to get a retail license these days and oem may be the only available option. I can't see anything in the XP OEM EULA saying you can't use it in a VM - but I'm no legal expert.

AFAIK, versions of Windows prior to Vista had no specific wording regarding virtualization so no restrictions to running it in a VM, as virtualization was not as common as it is now, so MS would have been concerned about it at the end user level. And since MS changed the EULA to allow Vista to run as a VM, there is no restriction for current versions of Windows either. Of course, MS still limits support for certain things that are run in a virtual machine, but this is mostly for server apps such as Exchange and SQL, but Windows itself can be run as a VM.

Windows 7 Prof - as I understand includes the ability to run XP inside MS virtualization on a suitable PC. I don't know how it activates. Is there a way of buying Windows 7 and extracting the XP key to provide a legit way of running XP under fusion?

What you're referring to is "XP Mode", which is only available to Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise and only for the 64-bit versions. Legally, that copy of Windows XP provided is only allowed to run as VM within Windows 7's XP mode, so trying to run it as VM within Fusion would be just as illegal as some of the other discussions of OEM licenses already mentioned in this thread. So since the point of the discussion is legal ways to run Windows as VM, then extracting the XP Mode VM to run within Fusion is a moot point.

0 Kudos
benc1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What you're referring to is "XP Mode", which is only available to Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise and only for the 64-bit versions. Legally, that copy of Windows XP provided is only allowed to run as VM within Windows 7's XP mode, so trying to run it as VM within Fusion would be just as illegal as some of the other discussions of OEM licenses already mentioned in this thread. So since the point of the discussion is legal ways to run Windows as VM, then extracting the XP Mode VM to run within Fusion is a moot point.

Upon what do you base this statement?

The text on the Windows 7 box (arrived this morning) says "requires download of Windows XP Mode and virtualization technology such as Windows Virtual PC". The "such as" bit would suggest other virtualization products are acceptable.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Don't read the box - that's marketing. Read the EULA. You can only run the XP edition within a Win 7 installation.

0 Kudos