VMware Communities
Gimped
Contributor
Contributor

Now that Lion is out

Who has tried Fusion on Lion? Any issues? I am not going to ask VMware to comment since they have a silly policy about commenting on future releases.

No more NDA complaints since Lion is public.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I do not believe that VMware has provided a VMware Fusion release that officially supports Mac OS X Lion as a Host or Guest however I've had no problems running VMware Fusion 3.1.3 on the Developer GM of Lion.

0 Kudos
Gimped
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodyZ. That's the kind of information I was looking for. I know VMware's stance on this already. I am more looking for user's feedback. Thanks for sharing that.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
Mohannad
Contributor
Contributor

I've had some issues with running VMWare. It puts the system to a halt.  I've noticed that this happens when I'm running Safari.  I've also noticed that when I turn off extensions in Safari, then things are a bit smoother, but I'm still testing this to see if that's really it or not.

0 Kudos
Gimped
Contributor
Contributor

Any details on your system Mohannad?

Fusion version? Guest OS?

0 Kudos
Mohannad
Contributor
Contributor

Macbook 5,1 Unibody

Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz

OS X Lion - clean install from USB media (also had same problem when upgrading from SL so I don't think this is an issue)

4GB RAM

7200 RPM HD

VMWare Fusion 3.1.3

- Running Ubuntu - not too bad, only a little slower

- Running Windows 2000 or Windows 7 - computer goes to a halt, beachball and Safari stops responding.  Mail usually runs, but very slow.  Switching between desktops can take upwards of 20 seconds.  Under SL I never had these issues.

0 Kudos
Copper9
Contributor
Contributor

When running Fusion in full screen mode, it doesn't move to it's own space.  Therefore it completely covers up the Desktop.  3-finger swipe does not allow me to see the desktop although I can switch between Fusion, Mail, Safari, etc. running in full-screen mode.  Any ideas?  I hate to have to drop out of full-screen mode every time I want to see files on my desktop.

OSX 10.7

MacBook Pro

2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB RAM

0 Kudos
Gimped
Contributor
Contributor

In mission control, drag your VM's window into it's own space. There is a + sign in the top right corner of mission control that is a drop location for windows. Once you have given it its own space, then you can full screen it and do 3-finger swipe between them.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To bad you mark your own post as helpful, as this was an excellent tip, thanks! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Copper9
Contributor
Contributor

That did the trick.  Thanks for pointing that out Gimped.  Hopefully Fusion will incorporate moving to its own space in future updates.  In the meantime that's a great workaround.

0 Kudos
Gimped
Contributor
Contributor

Just to close out this discussion. No problems here. Thanks everyone who answered. And thanks to the VMware Fusion team for posting a statement to the blog. It goes a long way to give confidence.

0 Kudos