VMware Communities
fabwins
Contributor
Contributor

Not enough physical memory available

Hi Community, I have a Win 10 virtual machine that I usually stop. Now I wanted to restart it to continue working, but got the message that there is not enough physical memory available. Even a restart of the host did not help. I use 10.1.16 and have Big Sur. Does anyone know this bug? Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you've upgraded to Big Sur on your Mac, note that only Fusion 12 is supported to run on Big Sur.

Fusion 12 does have a Player version available - free for personal use.

Assuming that is the issue here...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
tizerthom
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry did you just say that on VM Fusion 12 is  only supported on BIG SUR ??????????????

I have version 11.1.1 where was the warning that 11.1.1 will not work, what alarms were sent.

I can not assign RAM because every time I close VM Fusion to allocate the RAM all dialogue boxes close, it is a perpetual BLOODY circle. I suggest you get a fix for this or you are going to loose thousands of customers overnight and get on the case now.

tizerthom
Contributor
Contributor

Sequence of events below....the perpetual circle

0 Kudos
tizerthom
Contributor
Contributor

Great, only one attachment allowed 😡

0 Kudos
MBnl
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem.

Upgrading to Pro 12 did the trick BUT: i cannot use netwerkshares in windows now, this is an open issue.

0 Kudos
tizerthom
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone please e-mail me a simple solution or get in contact to do a remote MacBook control to fix the issue. The support I have requested has always been excellent.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I'm sorry to inform you that only VMware Fusion 12 supports running on Big Sur.

See also:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2020/09/fusion-12-now-available.html

Perhaps the free Fusion Player 12 will work for you. (there's a link in the 2nd article)

Please note that if that link doesn't work and you are using Firefox, then try again using Safari or a private window.

There's no fix for Fusion 11, starting with macOS Big Sur VMware has to use the Hypervisor Framework as is provided by apple and that means a major rewrite was needed.

That rewrite happened in VMware Fusion 12. It is not VMware's fault that apple changed how macOS works in Big Sur.

If you don't want to upgrade, the only solution I am aware about to get Fusion 11 to work is to go back to Catalina.

Hope this helps,
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
tizerthom
Contributor
Contributor

Hi VM,

Thanks for the link to VM Fusion 12 Player, I was issued a perpetual licence and have successfully rebooted into Windows with no problems so far ..many thanks

0 Kudos
FraGoCo
Contributor
Contributor

This works perfectly for me, running only one day, but based on other post the VM 12 is a live saver.

0 Kudos
chronics
Contributor
Contributor

Install https://www.virtualbox.org

Right click on the virtualmachine, show package contents. 

Copy all files to a folder for example VM

In virtual box choose new virtual machine and use existing virtual hard drive file. Inside the folder you created locate the hard drive file. 

acuedd
Contributor
Contributor

Are you kidding me? I bought my license last year and now I should pay again to other license? 

Bad, really bad. 

I'm off with vmware  

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@acuedd 
Or don’t run Big Sur, or use the new Player version of Fusion 12 (free for non-commercial use)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
lakelady301
Contributor
Contributor

The free Fusion 12 Player did the trick for me.  But I spent hours trying to figure out how to get back up and running on Windows.  For all of us non-geeks, Fusion could have helped us out by directing us to that article in the first place.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
CMJConsultingVA
Contributor
Contributor

Well this certainly explains a lot. I recently upgraded to Big Sur and now I can't open Windows 10 in VMWare 11 and get the same message about physical memory. I ran an update of my existing VMWare 11 and that did not fix the problem. I will go ahead and do the upgrade...at least I can write it off as a business expense. 

0 Kudos
fboulangue
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Many thanks for that tip. I've installed VirtualBox and everything works like a charm 🙂

I think this marks the end of my using VMWare… and paying for every new update that is, of course, required since I upgrade to Apple's new OS. 

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

While you can certainly use VirtualBox, you could also have used the free VMware Fusion Player.
FWIW, VMware Fusion Player is what used to be called VMware Fusion non professional version, so it has pretty much all the features most users need.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Inprimus
Contributor
Contributor

It seems it is no longer possible to download the version for non-commercial use.

Edit:
It turns out it was a browser issue preventing registration. Apologies.

0 Kudos