VMware Communities
cam0217
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not enough physical memory available nonsense

Hi,

I have been having loads of issues running VMWare software. I use the last version of VMWare Fusion 11 that runs (meaning not the latest download available), it is 11.5.5 version. I'm on macOS 12.3.1.

The last issue is the "Not enough physical memory available" error that is absolutely nonsense as I'm trying to run it on a Imac pro which has 8 physical cores + 8 virtual cores and 32 GB of ram. I tried to downgrade the VM to 2 CPUs and 4 GB or memory but it still won't run for some reason.

I should mention this VM is from work as my work laptop (windows 10 pro) is not powerful enough and I foolishly thought I can run it on VMWare fusion to get better performance from my Imac.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It may have run, but I consider you lucky that it did. Fusion 11 was never supported for use on macOS 12 - I doubt that VMware tested it.

The last version of macOS that Fusion 11.5.x supported was Catalina. See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571 for the list of macOS releases and supported Fusion versions.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
cam0217
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You were right, it does not run at all since it always gives that stupid error.
I uninstalled VMWare and will switch to Virtualbox at work.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

IMO Parallels is trying to get people onto their subscription offerings. Could be why they've kind of crippled their Standard version for "home and student" use. Fusion Pro has features that aren't available in Player, but to VMware's credit they haven't crippled the VM size for Player. And then there is the availability of a personal use license.

I think I may have found it... try this URL

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=fusion-player-personal

You'll need to log in with your VMware account.

- Paul (Technogeezer)

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry but you're going to have to upgrade to Fusion 12 to support that macOS version. Fusion 11 doesn't run on macOS 12. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
cam0217
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 11.5.5 does. 11.5.7 does not.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It may have run, but I consider you lucky that it did. Fusion 11 was never supported for use on macOS 12 - I doubt that VMware tested it.

The last version of macOS that Fusion 11.5.x supported was Catalina. See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571 for the list of macOS releases and supported Fusion versions.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
cam0217
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, so I should pay each year for a software I'm only having issues with?

I'm actually converting it with Parallels Desktop and it seems to run quite fine. I'll try to convert it back to fusion later on but I'm not putting another dime on VMWare. I'm only having issues with it where PD is way more reliable and runs easily 4 to 5 years supporting all OS versions throughout.

Even more funny that I'm having less issues converting from VMWare Workstation to Parallels Desktop than to VMWare Fusion...

0 Kudos
cam0217
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You were right, it does not run at all since it always gives that stupid error.
I uninstalled VMWare and will switch to Virtualbox at work.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Just saying, but Fusion 12 is available for free. This very use case was one of our motivations for making it available free for personal use.

vmware.com/go/get-fusionplayer 

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
cam0217
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your link does not work and I can't see nothing free but again, VMWare maze... I must be real dumb.

It's even more expensive than what I paid for my Fusion 11 license!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looks like VMware has changed up their website again that's invalidating the link @Mikero posted. I'll see if I can find the right link for you.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
cam0217
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks @Technogeezer , if you can find the link it would help.

I really don't understand why VM companies like to make this so difficult. It really is a mystery to me.

I mean I bought like 3 or 4 licenses of Parallel Desktop over the years and their licensing is not great either but their software runs. It used to run on 2 computers now it's only 1 and they limit to 2 vCPUs and 8GB vRAM like it's the 2000s...

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

IMO Parallels is trying to get people onto their subscription offerings. Could be why they've kind of crippled their Standard version for "home and student" use. Fusion Pro has features that aren't available in Player, but to VMware's credit they haven't crippled the VM size for Player. And then there is the availability of a personal use license.

I think I may have found it... try this URL

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=fusion-player-personal

You'll need to log in with your VMware account.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
cam0217
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link it works. It doesn't seems to be properly advertised.

You're right, almost every software company tries to turn us into subscription as it's easier to plan revenues this way but I only buy what I really need .

For example, I paid twice the subscription price for the lifetime cleanmymac license instead of getting the subscription. I know I'll have to pay again at some point otherwise it won't be compatible with the last macOS version. I really do hate forcing customers into subscription, this is the moment I look for alternative softwares.

I pay for good softwares, I don't use pirated softwares but alternatives exists almost all the time!

0 Kudos