VMware Communities
veganjustice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not a Valid Virtual Machine Configuration...

Okay, I thas been probably about 3 days since I started VMWare Fusion up and ran Windows. I go to run it this morning, after shutting it down properly the last time I used it, and when I pick my Vista VM and hit run, I get a warning up saying...

"/Users/my name/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows Vista.vmwarevm/Windows Vista.vmx" is not a valid virtual machine configuration file

and I have the option of hitting OK, and then nothing happens.

This happened to me on a past install of XP on Parallels, and other problems, that is why I came to VMWare, and everything has been great, my XP install and my bootcamp install, but this Vista install isn't valid anymore. Is there a way to fix this? Or do I have to reinstall?

Thanks

Jordan

0 Kudos
119 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Wood replaced the file with VMware closed, the started VMware.

I was able to select it (couldn't before) however when it started I got the following meg:

Unable  to open file"/........../Windows 7 2.vmdk":One of the disk in this  virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot.

Any ideas

Garry

that was the latest post I saw when I replied

0 Kudos
vjslater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

** sorry for the repost from another thread **

I am in an emergency and have not been able to get my VM going for 5pm deadline (it's 12:35pm now).  Can someone please help me?

I have attached the .vmx and the log files.  Thank you ..

0 Kudos
justb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know this is kind of a dead topic now but I've been having problems with the line 1 syntax error. I've tried using the attached perl script in terminal but everytime I run it, it creates a file of 0 KB and seems to hang. I am inputting this into the command line:

./vmxrecover.pl vmware.log > WindowsXP.vmx

Can you give me a hand?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

justb2 wrote:

I know this is kind of a dead topic now but I've been having problems with the line 1 syntax error. I've tried using the attached perl script in terminal but everytime I run it, it creates a file of 0 KB and seems to hang. I am inputting this into the command line:

./vmxrecover.pl vmware.log > WindowsXP.vmx

Can you give me a hand?

Either archive (compress) and attach the vmware.log files (usually 4 of them) or...  To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

BTW if you're using VMware Fusion 4.x, VMware Workstation 8.x or VMware Player 4.x the perl script as posted will not work as VMware changed the vmware.log format.  Using some of Eric's source code I wrote a Automator Service that works with both the old vmware.log format and the new (current) vmware.log formats.  So I can easily create a new .vmx file for you if you provide the files.

0 Kudos
justb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a bunch for doing this. Any chace you'd be willing to upload your automater script?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All the files in the justb2.vmwarelog.zip file are corrupt and do not contain properly formatted VMware logging information. Smiley Sad  You will need to create a new .vmx file by creating a new empty Virtual Machine and manually modify it if necessary.  If you need help with it I'll need the .tgz file from Collect Support Information.

0 Kudos
justb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've attached my Support Info.

Tried making a new virtual machine and importing the old vmdk but it doesn't even let me select it... Can you help me out Woody?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay I took a quick look at the info in the .tgz file and the "Windows XP Professional.vmdk" file, the base .vmdk or "Disk DescriptorFile" for the virtual hard disk is also corrupt and will need to be recreated along with the "Windows XP Professional.vmx" configuration file.  The fact that the number of files in the target Virtual Machine Package are corrupt is not looking good as some of the data segments of the virtual hard disk might also be corrupt as well.  This may end up being a total loss however we'll have to take it a step at a time.

I'm heading out for the afternoon and will look at this again tonight and create generic versions of the base .vmdk and .vmx files for you to try and revive the Virtual Machine with.

0 Kudos
justb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had figured they were corrupt. I think this may have happened due to encryption/unencryption via a third party program. I've created a backup of all original files and am now playing around with different vmx and vmdk files to see if I can make any headway. The worst part of all this: these corrupted files were my backup and I've since lost the original due to a bad SSD.

Thanks for all your help Woody. It's greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I had figured they were corrupt. I think this may have happened due to encryption/unencryption via a third party program.

Before I waste to much time on this, archive (compress) and attach the following virtual hard disk files.  They should be empty (of user data) segments that are 320 KB in size and I what to see if they are intact or if any of theses are corrupted.  If they are, then you may just have nothing but garbage on your hands.

Windows XP Professional-s008.vmdk
Windows XP Professional-s009.vmdk
Windows XP Professional-s010.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s016.vmdk
Windows XP Professional-s017.vmdk
Windows XP Professional-s018.vmdk

0 Kudos
justb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Files attached

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

They all contain garbage (or encrypted).

Was the disk that the Virtual Machine was stored on encrypted or was the Virtual Machine itself encrypted?

0 Kudos
justb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The disk that it was stored on was encrypted. Oddly enough all other files on the disk are fine.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

justb2 wrote: The disk that it was stored on was encrypted. Oddly enough all other files on the disk are fine.

Then based on what I've seen so far I'd say this is a lost cause! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
justb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ouch. Well thanks for trying Woody. Can you speak at all as to what kind of encryption is VMware friendly?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When I have time later tonight I can create the generic .vmx file and a Disk DiscriptorFile and you can try them however I think it's an exercise in futility.  As far as whole disk encryption on a Mac I haven't used it so I don't have any recommendations.  VMware Fusion 4 has built-in encryption however if you forget the password you're screwed! Smiley Wink  Mac OS X Lion's FileValult 2 does whole disk encryption.

0 Kudos
justb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried making a few generic vmdk and vmx files to no avail. I'm pretty sure everything in the Windows XP Professional package is corrupt. I wouldn't worry about it; I'm already starting to piece together a new VM to take its place.

I typically use TrueCrypt for all my encryption needs and have never had any issues with it... untill now. I think I'll explore some other options, at least for my VM's. Thanks again Woody

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I've used TrueCrypt on Windows Hosts and in my Windows Virtual Machines (on a Windows or Mac Host) in the past and had no problem with that.

0 Kudos
NSS817
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Woody,

I have the same issue this morning after a system crash...Can you help.

I've attached my log files

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

NSS817 wrote:

Hi Woody,

I have the same issue this morning after a system crash...Can you help.

I've attached my log files

The attached "Windows_7_x64.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows 7 x64.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed, unzip (double-click) the attached "Windows_7_x64.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows 7 x64.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos