VMware Communities
veganjustice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not a Valid Virtual Machine Configuration...

Okay, I thas been probably about 3 days since I started VMWare Fusion up and ran Windows. I go to run it this morning, after shutting it down properly the last time I used it, and when I pick my Vista VM and hit run, I get a warning up saying...

"/Users/my name/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows Vista.vmwarevm/Windows Vista.vmx" is not a valid virtual machine configuration file

and I have the option of hitting OK, and then nothing happens.

This happened to me on a past install of XP on Parallels, and other problems, that is why I came to VMWare, and everything has been great, my XP install and my bootcamp install, but this Vista install isn't valid anymore. Is there a way to fix this? Or do I have to reinstall?

Thanks

Jordan

0 Kudos
119 Replies
Spurs2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody I to have fallen victim (or demonstrated my ignorance) of a corrupt .vmx file.

Are you able to assist me in recovering it?

I have included the .vmx file together with the current .log file as well as yesterdays.

Garry

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Need the vmware.log file to do it, so archive (compress) and attach the Archive.zip file it to a reply post.

Never mind, you must have come back an attached it while I was writing my reply.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached "Windows_7_2.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows 7 2.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed unzip (double-click) the attached "Windows_7_2.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows 7 2.vmx" file with the one here.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Removed attachment per Spurs2011's request.

0 Kudos
Spurs2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how is this?

Garry

0 Kudos
Spurs2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wood replaced the file with VMware closed, the started VMware.

I was able to select it (couldn't before) however when it started I got the following meg:

Unable to open file"/........../Windows 7 2.vmdk":One of the disk in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot.

Any ideas

Garry

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop.

0 Kudos
Spurs2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

here ya go.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try this one.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Removed attachment per Spurs2011's request.

0 Kudos
Spurs2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody

Thank you!!

How can I prevent this from occurring again?

Garry

0 Kudos
Spurs2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody could I ask one more favour, please?

Can you please remove the file attachments that you sent me on post 62 and 67?

Much appreciated.

Garry

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can't and that is what backups are for! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Spurs2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Woody, appreciate your prompt service, hopefully I won't be back.

Garry

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Done.

0 Kudos
edbror
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, I've seen lots of useful info, I'm having the same problem in my configuration file, I've updated my VMWARE FUSION to no avail, I'm attaching the requested files, hope you can help me.

ed

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached "Windows_XP_Professional.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed unzip (double-click) the attached "Windows_XP_Professional.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
kinetz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, today tryng to open my virtual machine i see an error: syntax error in line 1.... could some one help me.

Thx in advance

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just showing us a picture of the error message doesn't really help in this case and you need to archive (compress) the .vmx configuration file and the vmware*.log files into a single .zip archive file and attach the .zip archive to a reply post if you what to have a new .vmx configuration file created.

0 Kudos
TerreD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I too am receiving this same message (as well as the file specified is not a virtual disk)

Long story short, had a windows xp sp2 virtual machine running in fusion 3.1 when the hard drive on the macbook began failing.

I pulled the drive from the machine and was able to begin copying what i believed to be all of the vmdk files from the drive.

the  virtual machine was  175gb in size, split into 2gb files, but some (i  believe it to be about 7 at most) of the files seems to have issues.

Upon  start up, i received the standard "the virtual disk specified is  invalid" error message. When viewing the .vmdk primary file, it shows  the 87 of the 89 sparse files having a file size of 4192256, 1 having a  size of 2234368, and 1 having a size of 40960.

However, some of the files vary in size from 1.mb to 2.15gb in size.

As  the vm will not open at this time, is there any way to extract the  files i need from within the virtual? The data is extractable, as i was  able to use winhex on a copy of the data files in order to extract a  bunch of pdf files from it (but not the most important files i needed).

thanks in advance (and my apologies if attaching an issue/question to the end of a thread/discussion is the improper method for requesting help)

T

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

do you have any lock directories ?
if yes - delete them

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ulli Hankeln wrote:

Jun 14, 2011 7:02 PM                                          in response to:                                      Spurs2011

Re: Not a Valid Virtual Machine Configuration...

do you have any lock directories ?
if yes - delete them

Not sure why you're even replying to Spurs2011 as I resolved his issue nearly 2 months ago!  His .vmx configuration file was corrupt and I uploaded a new one to him.

0 Kudos