VMware Communities
veganjustice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not a Valid Virtual Machine Configuration...

Okay, I thas been probably about 3 days since I started VMWare Fusion up and ran Windows. I go to run it this morning, after shutting it down properly the last time I used it, and when I pick my Vista VM and hit run, I get a warning up saying...

"/Users/my name/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows Vista.vmwarevm/Windows Vista.vmx" is not a valid virtual machine configuration file

and I have the option of hitting OK, and then nothing happens.

This happened to me on a past install of XP on Parallels, and other problems, that is why I came to VMWare, and everything has been great, my XP install and my bootcamp install, but this Vista install isn't valid anymore. Is there a way to fix this? Or do I have to reinstall?

Thanks

Jordan

0 Kudos
119 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here you go... This was not from a Virtual Machine created in Fusion so I don't know where you got it but the attached file orangeleaf.vmx.zip contains the orangeleaf.vmx file that represents the logged .vmx configuration file that is in the vmware.log file you supplied.

0 Kudos
Webalistic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Thanks! You really saved me a lot of time.

It worked immediately.

FYI: It was an old machine that was converted to ESXi.

Although I actually am using fusion for my windows destop on mac...

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
cmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

My Hd crashed .. I thought I had a very recent backup - it must not have completed. I had 1 more backup - however it does not want to open.

When i show package contents I do not see anything other than Application - logs and disks. I have attached my log files - if you can run you rmagic on these - i would be very grateful! I of course have a demo on software that is installed on thursday - what fun!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This one was created from the vmware.log file and if it doesn't work let me know and I'll use one of the other vmware-(n).log files.

0 Kudos
cmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow that was quick! Thank you. I put that into my Windows XP package. When I try to open the VM now - I get a

File not found: Windows XP Professional.vmdk

I have attached a screen shot of what is in the folder. If you have any suggestions- I would love to hear them.

Thanks again!

- Chelsea

0 Kudos
SimplyBea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Folks

I am getting a bit nervous here with these posts. Up til now I have been using Fusion 1.3 and managed to sort out my initial hiccups.

I am about to update to 2.0.4 and I am just wondering if all the problems highlighted in this thread are with v 2.0.4??

;(

0 Kudos
cmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think my problem had more to do with - me thinking I had a better backup than I did .... and my harddrive crashing.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Wow that was quick! Thank you. I put that into my Windows XP package. When I try to open the VM now - I get a

File not found: Windows XP Professional.vmdk

I have attached a screen shot of what is in the folder. If you have any suggestions- I would love to hear them.

I hate to tell you this but if that picture is all that's in the Virtual Machine Package then you may be in trouble unless you have a full backup.

According to the vmware.log file there is supposed to be "Windows XP Professional-s001.vmdk" through "Windows XP Professional-s017.vmdk" and I'm only seeing through "Windows XP Professional-s014.vmdk" in the picture so you're missing 3 segments of the virtual hard drive as well as the virtual hard drive descriptor file "Windows XP Professional.vmdk" and even though I'd probably be able to recreate a descriptor file that would work it won't work without all of the segments. Even those could be dummied up but it may not work and or could trash the disk so you have to backup what you had before experimenting in an attempt to recover. That said it's late where I am and I'm done for the day so I can't help any more tonight.

Do you have a backup of the Virtual Machine Package?

0 Kudos
Webalistic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woodyz, another lost vmx file...:(

Seems to disappear when copy-pasting within the datastore browser.

Can you please help me one more time?

See zip attached for latest logfile.

Thanks,

Merijn

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Eric () has provided a script that you can use to do this yourself.

See:

The attached file was created using that script and is based on the information in the .log file you provided.

File Attached: Windows 2003 Webedition Standaar.vmx.zip

0 Kudos
Webalistic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again, let's see if I get that script running.

0 Kudos
jackding
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear WoodyZ and Friends:

Can some one help me, I am unable to run my vmware after power cut .

and i can not find the file " Windows XP Professional SP2 - SC-000006.vmdk " in the VM root directory .

Please find the attachment for the error msg and the vmware log file.

"/Users/my name/Documents/Windows XP Professional.vmx" is not a valid virtual machine configuration file

Log files et all attached.

Thanks in advance.

Jack

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached file "Windows XP Professional.zip" contains a file named "Windows XP Professional.vmx" that was created from the contents of the "vmware-0.log" file dated 09/24/2009 11:03 AM as that was the newest .log file that was not corrupt.

0 Kudos
jackding
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ:

Thanks ! Thank you quick reply.

when i power on VM a message prompt :file not found:Windows XP Professional SP2 - SC-000006.vmdk

and can not find the file " Windows XP Professional SP2 - SC-000006.vmdk " in the VM root directory .(see attached)

Is there a way to fix this?

I have 7 snapshot in this VM,can we restore snapshot manage ?

0 Kudos
laksha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Jack,

As you suggested I am attaching .mht file in my reply.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

try with

ide0:0.fileName = "Windows XP Professional SP2 - SC-000008.vmdk"

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
laksha
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Jack, the largest file is Windows XP Professional SP2 - SC.vmdk. Use that and it should work. I also attached .mht file from my blog with this reply for additional steps. (Online version - http://blog.laksha.net/2009/10/vmx-is-not-valid-virtual-machine.html)

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Use that and it should work.

Yes - that will work - it will bring up the VM with very outdated state and it will make further attempts to recover this VM even more tricky.

Please do this community a favour and stop posting your dangerous advice every where.

Thanks

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
EricC201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello all .. I am getting the same error, line1 syntax error

attached are the log files from my vm

anything you guys could do would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached file "Windows 7 x64.vmx.zip" contains a file named "Windows 7 x64.vmx" that was created from the contents of the "vmware.log" file.

0 Kudos