VMware Communities
tsl90
Contributor
Contributor

No wireless connection in virtual machine?

I am using VMWare with Win XP as a virtual machine on my Mac. Suddenly I can't connect to the internet with my windows machine, but my Mac OS connects fine.

When I run "Diagnose connection problems" it tells me to turn my router off and back on, which doesn't help.

VMWare settings gives me a list of icons. One of them is Network. When I open that there is no network (or anything else listed). If I hit "Add new item" the only option it gives me is "Add new Shared folder". Nothing at all about internet or wireless connections. I assume that if there's no network listed that somehow VMWare isn't recognizing my wireless connection. My Mac connects with Safari fine, but IE in my Win XP machine can't connect at all.

I'm not sure what else to try.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

TL

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VMWare settings gives me a list of icons. One of them is Network. When I open that there is no network (or anything else listed). If I hit "Add new item" the only option it gives me is "Add new Shared folder". Nothing at all about internet or wireless connections.

You can only add a virtual network card (or anything else except shared folders) when the virtual machine is powered off.

tsl90
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help.

OK. I turned off the machine and went to the Network settings page. Sure enough I could add a network and it says it's connected. It says I'm sharing the Macs network connection.

Unfortunately when I started Win XP back up IE still can't connect.

TL

0 Kudos
dp_fusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In Windows, what are you using for DNS name servers?

0 Kudos
tsl90
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry - I don't know what a DNS name server is.

I swear I didn't have to do anything to set this up even the first time. I loaded Win XP on and one day thought - I wonder if IE works. I clicked the icon and I was there. Never a problem until now.

If you'll tell me how to find that info I'll get it, but it may not be until morning.

Thanks for the help.

TL

0 Kudos
tsl90
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all.

The key was to add a new network from the settings menu (with the virtual machine off). Then set it to "Bridged". It worked immediately. Nothing else to set up. I have no idea how that got changed.

Thanks

T

0 Kudos