VMware Communities
Bedanto
Contributor
Contributor

No "Easy Install" Option When Attempting to Install Windows 10 from ISO.

I downloaded a Windows 10 ISO (64-bit, not the "N" version) from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO. I have a product key.

I also have VMware Fusion 7.1.1, full version.

I tried to use "Easy Install" to setup a virtual machine, but there does not seem to be an "Easy Install" option, here is what I tried to do:

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

I suspect the "Easy Install" option is not showing up because for some reason VMware Fusion thinks I...

VMSCREENSHOT.png

Is "Easy Install" not working because VMware Fusion thinks I don't have internet access, if so, why ...

0 Kudos
12 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Fusion doesn't care about Internet access for Easy Install -- it can work just fine completely offline.  It will only look at the source .ISO file to determine whether it's a recognized version.

Have you verified the filesize and SHA1/MD5 checksums of your downloaded .iso against those on the Microsoft download page?

It''s also possible that Microsoft might have changed the disc contents such that Fusion 7.x no longer recognizes it as Windows 10.

There are quite a few things going on there, though... the failure of the Learning Center is odd, as is the "Internal Error", which should not occur even if your .ISO file is corrupt.  Could you possibly collect a support bundle (from VMware Fusion's Help menu) and attach it to a reply here for further investigation?  I don't quite know where to start with this array of problems.. it almost suggests a problem with the permissions on your Macintosh HD or some very aggressive antivirus package or something like that.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Bedanto,

Per release note, VMware provides the full support for Windows 10 start from Fusion 8.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
Bedanto
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the support bundle:

vm-03-13-17.2538.zip - Google Drive

I don't know how to verify the checksums, could you explain?

Also, I don't think it is an anti-virus problem, because I have no antivirus installed.

Thanks,

- Ved

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Try upgrading to Fusion 8 (8.5.3 is the current version), which has support for 10 - especially if you're on Sierra.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not trying to be pedantic, but 8.5.4 is the latest release Smiley Happy

For Fusion 7 you could update to 7.1.3 as that is the latest there.

You don't mention your host OS, sorry haven't looked at your support bundle either, but beware that macOS 10.12.x (Sierra) is not officially supported by Fusion 7.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Bedanto
Contributor
Contributor

I can't even check for updates (I have version 7.1.1), something is wrong with VMware Fusion and connecting to the internet, even though my internet access is fine for the rest of my computer:

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 11.32.17 AM.png

I'm going to try manually downloading 7.1.3

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you're on Sierra, manually download and install 8.5.5 - 7 is not supported on Sierra.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Arrrgh, missed that one...and now 8.5.5

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah 5 days between a release.

I already complained Smiley Wink but of course I am glad that the VMware Fusion team fixes security issues fast.

It's a lot better as the "don't fix" alternative.

Which is another reason on why you should not run Fusion 7.x as it won't get security fixes anymore.

Guess I can go update now.

edit: FWIW, there's currently a 30% off discount, not sure for how long. VMware Fusion 8.5 Pro

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I noticed you are running Sierra.

Not sure if the update of Fusion 7.1.3 will run as the path randomization feature introduced in Sierra might prevent you to do so.

The "not connecting to the internet" part usually happens when there's some proxy settings set.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
chibop
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

I created the Windows 10 iso file using media creation tool.

It recognizes the iso file as Windows 10 x64, but it doesn't give me the easy install option.

I tried in both Fusion 10.1 as well as Workstation 14.1.

0 Kudos
ayushsagarthe
Contributor
Contributor

I fixed it by going to the add or remove programs and selecting VMware workstation (version number) and then  selecting modify and then click next and then repair.

(i don't have any idea to fix VMware fusion) 

0 Kudos