VMware Communities
slantalpha
Contributor
Contributor

No network on bridged mode VM with VLAN-tagged Interface on VMware Fusion 12.0.0 / Big Sur 11.0.1

I am running VMware Fusion 12.0.0 on Big Sur 11.0.1.

The Cisco layer 3 switch port connected to my Macbook pro's Ethernet interface is configured as a trunk so that I can run different VMs on Fusion and put each on their own VLAN.

I configured a VLAN-tagged interface in Mac OS X to pass VLAN-tagged frames for all frames coming from the Macbook pro host. I selected this same interface for bridged mode networking for a Windows test VM.

When I ping my default gateway (my Cisco layer 3 switch) from the VM, I see the VM's MAC address learned on my Cisco layer 3 switch, and also the ARP entry.

I did a Wireshark on the Mac for the VLAN-tagged interface and see the ARP packets leaving from the VMware VM, but I don't see the ARP replies from the Cisco switch.

I also did another Wireshark on the MAC for the physical interface (not configured with any VLAN tag), and I DO see the ARP packets leaving from the VMware VM (they are VLAN tagged), and I do also see the ARP replies from the Cisco switch.

I did a Wireshark from inside the VMware VM. It shows the ARP packets getting sent out, but no reply.

Are VLAN-tagged Mac OS X virtual interfaces for VM bridged network interfaces supported with VMware Fusion 12.0.0 and Big Sur 11.0.1?

Netconfig.png

Labels (3)
0 Replies