VMware Communities
mtdob1
Contributor
Contributor

No longer able to print - Fusion 2.0.7

Thanks for taking a look at my question! Here's what's going on. I have a macbook with os x 10.5.8 that is also running win xp home using Fusion. I upgraded from Fusion 1.1 to 2.0.7 in May. While windows was somewhat slower after the upgrade, it was working fine. Last week, I opened fusion and received a message that it had paused the virtual machine because the disk was full. I freed up the host hard drive by moving several photo folders to a portable drive. A couple of days later, I tried to print a document in windows but was unable to. Fusion shows that the printer is connected on the bottom of the screen (it's a usb printer plugged directly into the macbook), but the "printers and faxes" tab in control panel is empty. There were several printers listed before. If I try and add a printer, I get an error message stating the print spooler service is not running. When I go into services and try to restart the print spooler, I get an error message #5 access denied. I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling vmware tools to no avail. Any input would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

This is not a VMware Fusion issue per se and is more likely just an OS issue.

Have a look at: You experience problems printing, viewing printer icons, and adding printers, the Print Spooler serv...

0 Kudos
mtdob1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help! The system folder kept becoming unresponsive, so it took awhile to do the fix. Once it completed, we're printing again. I'm hoping that's the only system file that is corrupted. One more question - is version 3 worth the money, or should I stick with version 2?

Thanks again for helping me with this - it has taken way too much of my time today and it's nice to have it working!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

One more question - is version 3 worth the money, or should I stick with version 2?

The objective answer here would be to suggest you download the latest 3.x release and get a free 30 day trial license (serial number) and test it out for yourself. Then with your first hand experience with the product you can make an appropriate decision whether or not to purchase it.

0 Kudos