VMware Communities
so11
Contributor
Contributor

No bootable device was detected

I am unable to boot up from my boot camp partition - I get the message 'No bootable device was detected.' I am able to boot up into boot camp without any problems but not via VMWare Fusion! The boot camp partion shows us in the Virtual Machine Library but when I click RUN I get the error message. Any help much appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you ever been able to boot Boot Camp through Fusion? If not, what are the contents of /Users/yournamehere/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm/vmware.log?

0 Kudos
hal2k
Contributor
Contributor

I can't solve the boot camp problem, but I can say that I had all sorts of problems getting WinXP to install on VMware Fusion RC1 until I verified that my disk was bad by attempting to boot a "real PC" with the disk. I tried all the other suggestions (delete VM, point directly to the device, change bios settings etc).

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but if you try an install and have problems it's something to look for. I just assumed since that the disk will mount and read correctly that it was fine.

--hal2k

null

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

What does your internal drive partition table look like, in particular, how many NTFS/FAT32 partitions do you have created? If you're doing something like trying to triple boot OS X, Windows or Linux, it's possible the Boot Camp detector is picking a non-bootable volume instead of your actual volume with Windows in it.

0 Kudos