VMware Communities
pajhonka
Contributor
Contributor

No Sound, Windows Vista Home Basic, VMWare 1.1.3

Hi,

I'm very excited about the possibility of using Windows VSTs on my Mac (OSX 10.4.11), which would be the primary reason for buying VMWare (and using Internet Explorer to test web designs), but I can't get the audio working.

My internal audio is connected in VMWare, but in Windows, no sound card is recognized (see screenshot attached). I have installed VMWare Tools.

I'd be very appreciative if someone could help. Thank you.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
pajhonka
Contributor
Contributor

I updated the audio driver in the Device Manager and it fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

This is a known issue and is documented in the Known Issues section of the VMware Fusion Release Notes.

• Fixing sound problems in virtual machines running Vista 32-bit edition
    When you install Microsoft Vista 32-bit edition in a VMware Fusion
    virtual machine, there is no sound output. To correct this problem, run
    Windows Update to update the sound driver from within Vista.

To update the sound driver in a VMware Fusion virtual machine running Windows Vista 32-bit edition:

1. In the virtual machine, from the Windows start menu, right-click Computer and select Properties.

2. In the left pane, under Tasks, select Device Manager.

3. When prompted for your permission to continue, click Continue.
      Windows displays the Device Manager.

4. Right-click the Multimedia Sound Adapter with a warning symbol (indicating that there is no driver) and select Update Driver Software.

5. At the prompt How do you want to search for driver software?, select Search automatically for updated driver software.
      Windows finds and installs the appropriate driver for your virtual sound card.

6. When you are prompted to restart, click Restart Now.

Sound should now work in your Microsoft Vista 32-bit virtual machine.

0 Kudos