VMware Communities
Geoffrey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No Ethernet Connection VMware Fusion 12 macOS Big Sur Beta 6

With the newly released version of VMware Fusion 12.0 I'm having the same problem I did with the Technical Preview in macOS Big Sur Beta 6.

When starting a Windows 10 x64 virtual machine, I receive the following error message:

Could not connect 'Ethernet0' to virtual network '/dev/vmnet8'. 

More information can be found in the vmware.log file.

Virtual device 'Ethernet0' will start disconnected.

Has anyone found a solution to restoring internet availability in the guest virtual machine?

Cheers

Tags (2)
128 Replies
Victoria9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't know if this will help anyone, but from the top menu, I went to Virtual Machine to settings to network adapter and saw that "Share With My Mac" was not selected. After selecting that, I have internet connection once again after months of not having it. Also, I have the non-Pro version of VMware 12 and am running current Big Sur.

0 Kudos
atlauren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If the afflicted also use Cisco AnyConnect, the release notes for AnyConnect version 4.10.02086 indicate this may be fixed.

-Andrew

0 Kudos
venon6ix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey 

Did this work? The bridge mode is not working for me on a Linux VM I am running. 

I didnt want to try this solution I see it is deleting something im not sure what it is ? And if i need it? 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
hd2659
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem I had with virtual networks "Could not connect 'Ethernet?" if more then 1 network was defined in Fusion Pro is solved after upgrade to 12.2.0.

From release notes, other issues mentioned in this thread seems to be resolved too.

- Unable to access port forwarding on a NAT virtual machine if the traffic is routed through the host IP stack on Big Sur hosts
- Jumbo Frame can't be enabled for NAT virtual machines and Host-only virtual networks on Big Sur hosts
- The virtual machine (VM) cannot access the same network as the host while macOS Big Sur host is connected to the virtual private network (VPN)

0 Kudos
gyrex_au
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also have this issue with bridged network connections not working on Fusion 12.2. NAT connections work fine.

Are VMware aware of this issue? Are there any reliable fixes?

0 Kudos
hd2659
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tested Bridged Networking / Ethernet and have no issues, I get an ip, mask, GW and dns servers from my DHCP running on my router

Fusion Pro = 12.2 MacOS=11.6

0 Kudos
JNY516
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion Professional Version e.x.p 18656771 with M1 BigSur 11.6

Windows 11 x64 ARM version does not show any network interfaces. I tried Sharing network with Mac, NAT, bridged but no luck.

Anything I can try/check? Install Vmware tools is grayed out. Perhaps not necessary for this version?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@JNY516 Questions about the tech Preview will get more attention if you post them in Fusion Tech Preview for Apple Silicon Discussions

You don’t say if you are running the Windows Insider preview or not, but the following discussion located there has a post that may get networking working for you https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech/Vmware-Fusion-Apple-Silicon-Support-...

There are no VMware Tools available for Windows 10/11 on ARM  because Windows for ARM is not supported by Microsoft on Apple Silicon and VMware has decided not to support it until Microsoft does. Any guidance on it is via user to user interaction, not anything official from VMware.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
JNY516
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks!

The solution in the link worked and network is up.... Yes, running windows 11 preview x64 arm. 

0 Kudos